Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt mini spool?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordslayer383, Feb 28, 2005.

i seen in the reider racing add for a 14 bolt mini spool. it was cheaper that a detroit- whats the deal with these? anyone run one

1. metto

metto Registered Member

basically just a full spool that replaces your spiders instead of the whole carrier. some people run them in street/trail trucks and pull them in the winter so they can have open diffs for snow but be spooled in the regular weather. fits in just like a lunchbox locker but its a spool all the time

2. you mean totally locked all the time?

3. metto

metto Registered Member

yep they are 100% locked whenever you have it installed in the diff. some have said that they are weaker than a full-carrier locker or spool, and while this is true, there shouldnt be any stregnth problems with an application like a 14ff

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you go over to POR, there is a vendor selling the Sandy Cone 14FF mini spools for aroudn $189+shipping. Haven't seen anyone vendors on here sell them yet. Also, Yukon makes a full spool which is a little over $200.

5. detroit lockers are pretty cheap for a 14 bolt anyway!compared to other lockers for other diffs plus id just weld up tha spiders instead (of gettin a mini spool)

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Ya, you can get them around $355 shipped.

Just depends on what type of locking action you want and how much you want to spend.

Mini spool - $190

Full Spool - $220

Detroit - $355

T-Locker - $? (not fond of the cover mounted actuator)

ARB(soon) -$900?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

think the ARB is expected to top $1000.

8. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

its pointless in my opinion to get a mini spool when a full spool is 30 dollars more and install is pretty much the same

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Why pay for a mini-spool when you can just have it welded. It is the same thing. Sure a mini-spool may technically be stronger but I have not heard of anyone breaking a good weld job in a 14bff.

I run a welded 14 bff in my semi-DD trail truck. Its not that bad on the street, the only part that really sucks is the tire wear.

Harley

10. metto

metto Registered Member

people run a mini spool so they still have the option of putting the spiders back in in the winter so they dont have the truck pushing its self all over the road in snow and ice. also with a mini spool or lunchbox you dont have to deal with gear setup.

11. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can weld a 14bff up like a minispool design. It is the same process to drop the minispool as the welded and stick in a set of spider gears. People who swap in Detroits practically give there old spiders away so that is not an issue.

A welded rear is not that bad in snow or ice. I ran my welded rear in Colorado for a winter with no problems. It is about learning to drive that setup.

Harley

12. atho

atho 1/2 ton status