Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt open & posi carriers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TPI Burb, Mar 5, 2002.

1. TPI Burb

TPI Burb Newbie

I've read a couple write-ups on Detroit locker installs in 14 bolt FF's and it sounds as though it's pretty much a cakewalk as long as you put everything back in exactly as it came out. i.e. bearing caps on the correct side, bolts tightened the same # of turns, ect. But what if you've got a posi carrier and your replacing it with an open carrier from a different diff? Wouldn't the new carrier/ring&pinion need to be set up (lash set .ect) since its never been in this axle housing? Or is it still a bolt in operation?

TIA,
    Jack

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

you can bolt it in ethier way, but with new gears or carrier you have to get out the guages and what not
    just to make sure. i know a few people who can install carriers all day and do it all by feel. then turn around and say, 2 year warenty.
    i cant. some day
    Grant

3. TPI Burb

TPI Burb Newbie

Thats not what I wanted to hear!!!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif But it is what I expected to hear. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

THX,
    Jack

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I just took the peices of a gov-loc out of my 14 and put in a detroit a few days ago. The open carrier I bought with my detroit had new bearings on, so I had to start over with the backlash. You have to set the bearing preload first, then adjust the backlash. The manual calls for .003-.012" of backlash with .005-.008" being optimal. I set mine at .007". If you want, I can try to dig up the instructions I printed out from Alldata.

5. TPI Burb

TPI Burb Newbie

Thanks Chris, that's what I figured I'd have to do but wasn't sure. I'd appreciate the instructions too, I need all the help I can get. I've read that it's a 2 man job to set the preload &amp; backlash. Did you find a trick to do it yourself or did you have help? Do you mind if I asked where you got your locker/carrier and what it set you back?

THX,
    Jack