Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt opinions needed

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Masher, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

I am gathering parts for a 1-ton buildup on my '96 GMC. I am looking for the rear 14FF. At Valley Truck Parts they have what they call a 'take out' which is a brand new zero mile 14 bolt with disc brakes. They don't know what year it came out of but it is a 10.5 ring gear. They want $700 for it. I will have to lock and regear it but $700 doesn't sound to bad for a brand new axle with discs, considering I'd spend $200 at a boneyard and have a 15 year old axle and still have to put discs on it. My only concern is plumbing the brakes and the E-brake. Can I just stub a hard line out to the end of the axle then run a braided line to the caliper?? Does anyone know how the new rear discs e-brake work?? Or could I just leave the cable disconnected if it came to that??

Thanks for any info and opinions you may have.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Considering that you still have to regear it, that sounds way too expensive to me. </font color>

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

at first i was thinking wow way to expensive. but if you look at it it is rebuilt. so you have the axle lets say around $200 all new seals and bearings around another $100 plus disk brakes around $300 so there is give or take $600 so $700 isn't that bad yes you will need to run braided brake lines to the calipers. you also need to find out what calipers they are some don't have a e-brake

4. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

I didn't think $700 was too bad considering it is a NEW never been used axle. Plus I think it has a 3 year/36,000 warranty. I would assume the calipers are the new ones they are running on the new trucks in the rear. Does anyone know how the e-brake works on the new ones??

5. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

What is the gear ratio now?

6. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

a warrenty on a 14BFF is useless. If you cracked that thing in half, you are doing stuff so out of wack that you should be luck to be alive after what ever stunt you pulled. replacement axles shafts are $20 a the bone yard, your R&amp;P is strong, and the housing itself is so damn big as you drag it over rocks (and everyone does) it laughs cuz it tickles.

$700 would be good if it was geared already.

7. Masher

Masher 1/2 ton status

I believe it is 4.10. I am going to go to 4.88 with a detroit.

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I know the gear install kit for an 88-up 14 bolt is different than a 87-down.
    I'm not sure if that means that a standard detroit doesn't work, or what.
    Just wanted to throw that out there.
    -- Mike

9. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

new truck (99/00 and up) parking brakes work independently from the calipers. the cable actuates brake SHOES that contact a drum cast into the center of the rotor assembly. this is the same setup that has been used on corvette since the 60's. it works pretty good

10. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

After all is said and done, I am going to have to agree with Shaggy...by the time you purchase new, then regear, that will be a $1200 axle; new or not, that's too much for a 14 bolt. You can pick up a HOUSING for nothing, purchase all new install kit, the carrier, gears and Detroit, then the hubs and brakes and still be in for less than $800 bucks, and all is new except the housing. I put discs on mine for around 250 bones-all new hardware.