Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt or 10 bolt? Please help?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Feb 4, 2001.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I was talking to my uncles today and they used to be into the lifted trucks, big axles, and big engines. They were saying that since my 10 bolt is already locked with a Detroit, that I should just lock the front and slap gears in the axle. Since I was only going to be running 35" tires, they said that I don't need a 14 bolt. I explained to them about the 16/35-15 Boggers I want and they became unsure if it would be a good idea or not. I thought I would consult with the K5 experts before giving up a great deal on a 14 bolt. Let me know what you all think, eventhough it will probably be in favor of the 14 bolt. HAHA

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

2. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Take your Detroit locker out of the rear and put it in the front(or sell it to me[​IMG]). Then go buy your 14 bolt for the rear. My $.02!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what are you going to be doing with your k5? if rocks or hill climbing then get the 14 if you are going to be mud and sand then you should be ok with the 10 bolt just remember that 10 bolts are week and 35's will put lots of stress on a 10 bolt

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud [​IMG]

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

It all depends on what you do with your rig. If you are going to use it just as a show truck or are you going to abuse it off-road. If you abuse it I would go with the 14 bolt and sell the 10 bolt to try and offset some of the cost of the swap.

Happy Trails
    Wayne

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

No rocks or hill climbing, just a lot of mud and occasional hill climbs. It all depends on where I go mudding. I just want to make sure that I make the right decision and not regret it later.

"Don't hit me with them negative waves so early in the morning." Odd Ball--Kelly's Hereos

6. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i feel your pain bro!! what gears are you planning on running? this was a factor for me..i run 35's, and need to get rid of these 373's, and i also dont want to worry about breakage..so i got a 14 blt ff...then it came to the front...i could re-gear it and buy all the parts to make it 8-lug, but what made more since was to just buy a 44 with the gears i want and all the hardware for 8 lug wheels..who cares if it needs bearings and small stuff....i guess it just boils down to is how hard you are going to drive it and how much cash you have...dont really expect to get all of the cash back when and if you sell it!!! that is the nature of the bear!! good luck

AIRBORNE!!

7. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I say go with the 14. Haven't you seen about 1000 posts on here about how these guys will put money into a 10 bolt just to have it blowup, and then go to a 14 bolt. It'll be cheaper in the longrun with a 14. Esp with 35 inch Boggers. PS--The dude I lift weights with just bought a '73 Blazer today. Cool huh?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

8. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

I am running those same Boggers with 10 bolts front and rear and 3.73s. I do a lot of mudding, some hill climbing/trail riding, and some dune running. I have had no trouble with mine(knock on wood) and am going to keep the 10 in the rear(maybe go to 12) and stuff some gears and new shafts in it. I dont see it as practical for me right now. Too young and dont have the money.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?

9. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

There is a 14 bolt with 4:10 gears in the parts for sale section. Price I think was $400 shipped to your door.

Happy Trails
    Wayne

10. BLzr4x4ngkid

Those the dude that lifts weights with you has joined the K5 community. Awesome, I'll have to check it out someday. I can't wait to get my money stuff together and buy the darn lift, axles, and tires. I'm just waiting for the day I roll it out of my dad's shop. I will live in the bad boy!!