Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt or 12 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLzr4x4ngkid, Mar 22, 2000.

1. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to get a 14 or 12 bolt rear end with six lug?? Since I already have the 6 lug wheels, I really don't want to go and buy new ones just for the rear. What's the difference between the 12 bolt and 14?? In other words, what does the 14 offer compared to the 12?? I want a 3/4 ton rear, but if I did that, what would be good to put in the front?? You know, kind of even things out, eh?

"What me get stuck? NEVER!!"(Famous last words)

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

12bolt rear is 6 lug.
    14bolt SF is 6 lug.
    14bolt FF is 8 lug.

14 bolt SF is obviously stronger than 12bolt, but both are SF.
    14bolt is much heavier and hangs a couple inches lower than the 12bolt. Hopes this helps yah.
    Boss

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

You can go with a Dana60 and have 3/4 ton with 6lug!
    Thats what I have in my 72K5.
    The Dana60 doesn't hang as low as the 14 ether.
    good luck
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

4. cocky

cocky Registered Member

Is the dana 60 rear a ford axle?

Richard
    1970 k5 Blazer
    Don't stand in front of a train naked

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

No, Dana is an independent vendor that supplyed axels to all the auto manufactures. You can find them Under Chevys, Dodges and Fords. Mine came out of a Chevy Longbed 3/4ton.
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

6. Norm

Norm Registered Member

There are both 6 and 8 lug versions of the semi-float 14 bolt. You can find the 6 lug variety in 88 up light duty 3/4tons. Depending on what year your blazer is, you will probably have to relocate the spring perches. 73-91 rear spring perches are 42 3/4 inches on center if I remember right. The semi-float does have a smaller carrier the FF variety, but is still stronger than a 12bolt. When you get the axle, make sure they include the u-bolt backing plates and e-brake cables (It's much faster for the junk yards to hot wrench these and you will need the ones from the donor). I just put a FF14bolt out of an 78 in my 83 with little problem. I even lucked out on the driveline length and just had to use a conversion u-joint because of the different size yokes. I did however have to change the front to 8 lug and buy new wheels.

7. cocky

cocky Registered Member

norm
    Would you please explain how you did your conversion u-joint. i am thinking of puttung a 14 under my 70 but the driveline mod is expensive

Richard
    1970 k5 Blazer
    Don't stand in front of a train naked

8. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Holy Crap....Nevermind....Didn't realize how old the post was....... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif