Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt or not??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by militaryblazer, Dec 14, 2000.

1. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

I found a truck for sale near me. It is an '84 body on a '73 3/4 Ton Frame. It has the 8 lug axles but what are they. I was wondering if it has the 14 bolt in back and what would the front one be. I want the truck for the axles and the winch bumper on front. Is $500 a good deal??

<font color=orange>'86 Military Blazer with 4" Lift & 33" Tires</font color=orange>[​IMG]

2. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

It should be a 14 bolt and a dana 44 front and i think $500 is pretty good you should have some extra parts off of the truck to sell also.

[​IMG] SMP

3. militaryblazer

Also in my area is a blazer with a 468 BB, and most of the other engine goodies on it, 33" swampers, 4" lift, and the 10 bolts axles, with a really beat to pieces body on it for $4000. Does that sound like alot?

<font color=orange>'86 Military Blazer with 4" Lift & 33" Tires</font color=orange>[​IMG]

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

a 468 454 is already .060 over, thats like the limit for a street 454, especially a 2 bolt. If the bodies beat the drivetrain is probably also. check it out real carefully. Cash talks, if you really want it set a price for yourself, offer it, and if he dosen't take it walk away......js

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Yes, it should have a full floater 14 bolt rear and a Dana 44 front.....just keep in mind that if the body has been changed then there's a good chance all of the drivetrain might not be original either. $500 probably isn't a bad deal if it's at least mostly complete and has other salvageable parts on it.
    I also agree with the other post on the Blazer. If the body is beat up then the drivetrain is probably beat up also. Also, is somebody put a built big block in a beat up truck with stock 10-bolts, I would start to question whether or not the engine was really built right or just cobbled together.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You could do what I did. Buy the truck. Put the 3/4-ton axles under your Blazer. Put the Blazer axles under the truck. You'll need a crossover type U-joint to mate the driveshaft to the axle. Sell the truck. [​IMG] Also swap the bumpers between the two since you want the winch bumper.

Make sure the axles on the truck are a decent gear ratio or you'll be dumping lots of money into swapping gears. Most of the 3/4-tons of that era came with 4.10's or 4.56's which is fine. An open rear diff is also the most desirable since you can literally drop in a Detroit Locker for $300. If it has the facotry Gov-Lock then you have to spend more money to upgrade.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Count the bolts on the rear cover. 14 bolts........14 bolt. I'd go for the $500 truck and do what Harry did, great way to upgrade. Sometimes you can even make a buck or two on the deal.........

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that is just what i am looking 4 wish i could find one in my area. i would do it!!!!

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah should be a 14 rear and a D44 front but it my have the old style D44 that is less desirable. The old style had external hubs. The externals are hard to find. If it has the internals it would have the same style that your truck does. It may also have smaller U-Joints than the newer trucks with a D44. Many people don't know that there was a U-Joint change in the early 70's. There should be a sticker either inside the glove box door or on the top of the driverside inner fender. It will be While with a Blue header and blcak printing. This will list what options the truck has. Hopefully it's still there and readable. The stock gear for a 3/4 is 3.73. It will say if it has 4.10's The exception is if it is a I6. those all got 4.10's. It will also list if it has a locker.
    Like one of the other guys pointed out swap your axles under it and resell it. You may beak even like the other guy said. Swapping to the newer style hubs is not big deal just need to get the Spindle and hub. Make sure the brake backing plate and caliper are the same.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

10. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Shannon, might have a line on a couple of 14 bolts - let you know in a couple of days.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

that would be cool. thanks frank

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

12. militaryblazer

I think I read somewhere that even if the axle has 14 bolts that it isn't always a 14 bolt? I think I saw that in Petersons.

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

14 is the number of bolts on the ring gear and its usually the number on the cover. If it has 14 bolts and its got a pointed bottom on the cover then its a 14 bolt FF.

90K5

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

14 bolts have 14 cover bolts. The ring gear is held with 12 bolts, trust me I just had mine apart to weld the spiders.[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]