Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt outter wheel bearing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Chris, Sep 28, 2004.

1. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

the book says to intall the race, then install the snap ring, then push the race into the snap ring from the outside, then, install the outter bearing...... problem is..... the outter bearing would not fit in after the race is installed. it wont fit through the race from the inside, and it wont fit through the outter hole. so...... from the inside, i put the bearing in, then the race, i pressed the race into place, installed the lock ring, and now, how the heck do i push the race up aginst the lock ring? i dont wanna beat on the bearing and mess it up. did i miss something.

will the bearing/race go into place when i put the spindle nuts on and set the preload??

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

On the outer bearing, the race gets pressed in first from the outside(axle flange side), then the bearing goes in then the spindles nuts, etc.

3. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

there is no way the race or the bearing will fit in from the outside (axle flange side).

my gm service manual says to press the race in from the back, then put the lock ring in, then press the race up aginst the lock ring from the outside, then, put the bearing in. but, it wont fit through the hole.

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

What yr is your 14FF?

5. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

76........ haha, i'm retarded, my gm service manual is a '91.... thats prolly my problem.

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Yep, I was going to say, just about every 14FF I've ever worked on the inner bearing/race presses in from the inner side and the outer bearing/race pressed in from the outer side. At least you got it figured out now /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

well, not really. the outter race will devinately not fit in from the outside, and the outter bearing is close, but it doesn't fit either.

8. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

did you maybe get bearings/races for a 91 and not a 76?

9. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

On my 84 14 bolt, I had to do everything from the inside. I ended up having to buy a pair of 12" long needle nose pliers with a 45 degree bend in the tip to get the damn snaprings out. I just put the bearing in, put the race in, put the snap ring in and used a bearing installer to pound them up against the snap ring. Was I not supposed to? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif The axle has about 5000 miles on it with no problems.

10. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

no, i got them for a '76. they are Timkin SET38

11. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    On my 84 14 bolt, I had to do everything from the inside. I ended up having to buy a pair of 12" long needle nose pliers with a 45 degree bend in the tip to get the damn snaprings out. I just put the bearing in, put the race in, put the snap ring in and used a bearing installer to pound them up against the snap ring. Was I not supposed to? /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif The axle has about 5000 miles on it with no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the only way i could see doing it, as the bearing wont fit from the outside. i was installing the races with a brass drift, but i guess i could get a bearing installer if i need to, i just dont want to beat on the bearing with a drift.

12. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Hmmmmm

Cause on my 74 14ff i pressed the outer stuff in from the outer and the inner stuff from the inner.

13. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

this is as far as the bearing goes in....

[​IMG]

14. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

do it as the gm manual says but put the outer bearing in 1st then the race and then the snap ring when you flip it over you should be able to get a small centerpunch around the outside and lightly tap the race against the ring . i just did it to my truck last week and it worked great.good luck