Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt parking brake question....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89GMCSuburban, Aug 20, 2003.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I have a 14 bolt from a 76 Burban and I need the parking brake to work. I'm going to be moving to Wyoming for school and will be frequenting the Colorado mountains, so I need it to park safely.
    Now, it needs cables. The parking brake cable design changed in 1984. I ordered cables from the later version for my year thinking, "The ends prolly didn't change, so they'll work." Well, I'm wrong... Do I then need backing plates from the newer axle to get the cables to work?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Correction: '83 is the year the cables changed. YOu can get any backing plate from any FF or SF off a 3/4 ton rear from '83 to '91 and they will work just fine for your older FF rear. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. FWP

FWP CRS

I have a silly question, they won't let you exchange the ones you ordered for the correct cables you need? Wouldn't it save the expense of different backing pates?

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Thanks a bunch! Saw a couple of those browsing the junkyard, so I have some work to do Saturday... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Both ends of the cable changed...the older style cables wouldn't hook up correctly to my parking brake.