Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt pinion angle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by midnitewarya, Dec 15, 2005.

1. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

I'm about to put the 14bff under my '91 K5 (finally) and I have a question about the pinion angle. I have heard that you should point the pinion right at the transfer case so that there is only one angle on the driveshaft. I have also heard that the pinion should be parallel with the transfer case, so that there are two angles on the driveshaft.

The current configuration I have with my 10 bolt is pinion/transfer are parallel. I get alot of vibration, especially when I let off the gas at high speeds. I blame some of the vibration on a "lathed" driveshaft. (I high centered on some rocks in Hollister and "lathed" off a good portion of steel on the drvieshaft). The rest I blame on a 6" lift and 4.56 gears. What is everyone running out there? Should I point the pinion at the transfer or should I keep it parallel?

Also, I'm looking for 6 lug adapters for the 14bff so I don't have to get new rims/tires. I've heard of them, but can't find 'em.

Thanks all,
    Al

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

If you have a CV on the front of the shaft, your supposed to point the pinon at the t-case. If you just have regular joints at both ends, the angles on each end should be the same (so vibrations cancel each other).

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member