Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Pinion Depth - shim chart - Chiltons?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudzer, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I need a copy of the 14 Bolt Full FLoater pinion shim chart which is found in many Chiltons manuals. This is the chart that lists the factory GM gearsets and the shim thicknesses needed to swap from one gear ratio to another. The pinion is marked with a number, and you read this number on both pinions and the chart tells you the shims requred for each pinion in their new housing.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Factory pinions are also scribed with a number with a + or - in front of it, so if you are going from one factory set to another you can just figure the difference and adjust accordingly. From what I remember the baseline shim stack is the same for all of the ratios. I could be wrong though, it's been a few months since I set mine up. </font>

3. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Just start with the "original" shim pack, and adjust according to the tooth pattern. You do have some good, pattern reading paste don't you? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

4. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Neil, I have a GM manual with that info. Call me.

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Can you Scan this for me? I think it would be a very useful tool in the 3 ring binder!

I did find out my Pinion is not marked. Does anyone know what the factory Pinion depth is on a 14 bolt, or does it depend on the gearset?

By the way, I have a good pattern and correct backlash, just have a little noise on deceleration.

Here's the skibby on why I am doing this. I bought a 1 ton truck from Wes. A friend of mine went with me to pick it up and I sold him the rest of the truck - minus the 1 ton axles. He planned on installing a motor and selling it running. So, he needed a 1 ton housing with perches that fit this truck and I needed a 3/4 Ton housing with perches that fit my K5. We swapped housings. I was in a hurry and did not check pinion depth in either housing. I just swapped pinions and kept the shims with each pinion. I then set up the gears thinking I would be close enough on the pinion depth. WRONG!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've set up several axles and the 14 bolt is by far the best and easiest to set up! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Does anyone know what the factory Pinion depth is on a 14 bolt, or does it depend on the gearset?

[/ QUOTE ]

Due to manufacturing tolerances, it varies by gearset. Most aftermarket gears have the distance from "perfect" pinion depth scribed into the end of the pinion gear. You'll see something like +0.0014 or -0.0023 there. With a proper pinion depth tool, this reading lets you get the pinion depth set correctly on the first shot. If (and it's a big IF), the previous gearset was set up properly, and it has similar markings, you can determine the difference between the two gears and adjust the shims accordingly on the new set. But it seems that many factory gearsets in GM trucks don't have the markings... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif