Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt pinion "shield"

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigCountryx, Oct 21, 2005.

1. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if anyone has been running their 14ff w/o the rear "shield that is pressed onto the pinion yoke? It is the piece of metal that protects the pinion seal from debris (I guess that's the idea). Mine has slid down and is no longer attached to the yoke so as I was driving home today, it was rattling it's ass off. I figured that if I could run w/o it w/ no probs, it would be easier to cut it off than it would be to pull the yoke and press it back on. I have tried to get it back up on the yoke w/o success. Any ideas?

2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

That is an oil slinger if I am thinking of the same pc you are. It keeps the oil on the pinion bearings for a bit. The oil is sloshed up over the top of it by the ring gear and it slows it down as it falls back to the bottom so that the bearing stays lubricated.

Some applications use them some don't. I have never heard of a failure from leaving them off but a general rule of thumb when regearing is to use one if their was one originally.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It's just a shield so nothing nails the seal. I guess you could run without it...but it's not a good idea.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Mine has done the exact same thing, rattles like a MO'FO, haven't really looked to see what exactly it protects, gonna reattach it someday.

not an oil slinger,,,,it's on the outside, like a cover for the pinion seal.

5. BigCountryx

BigCountryx 1/2 ton status

Yup, That's it :D I guess I should figure out a way to keep it instead of cutting it off :rolleyes:

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Well I will tell you this much. I removed mine and on my next wheeling outing I smashed the pinion seal. I went ahaead and ordered a pinion guard from Kert at DIY 4X4 and will be installing that when I change the seal out next week.

I went with an aftermarket yoke with the u bolts from NWFAB, I didn't think I would need that piece :doah:

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Both HAD and North West Fab sell new yokes with that piece removed. According to Jesse, it wont hurt anything to run without it. I've run a year without one...no problems or rocks, trees, mud, snow, etc. The fact I have a 1410 yoke may add a little protection, but I think the seal is relatively safe. Plus, that seal is not a huge deal to replace.

8. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Ah, on the outside. In that case I don't have one and it was not in the master overhaul kit from Yukon when I regeared so I have never installed on. No problems yet. :confused:

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Hmmm, actually, that seal is a pretty big deal to replace on a 14FF. To do it right, and the only way I would do it for a daily driver, you need a new crush sleeve and have to set the bearing pre-load to (IIRC) 14-16 in/lbs (too lazy to grab the book). Reusing a crush sleeve is a good way to get a cooked pinion bearing and maybe a ruined pinion and or axle to go along with it. Might last 100 miles, might last 100,000 miles, but either way, your axles chances of survival go WAY down if you just run the pinion back on. And IMO marking the nut/pinion is "good enough" for a dedicated crawler that does not see too many miles. Heck, I've done it to mine. But I wouldn't want to trust it on something I put many miles on like my street driven K5.

As for the guard, it's easily replaced by removing the yoke, heating the guard (MAPP gas works well) and sliding it back on before it cools. I kept mine on all my 1410 yokes. The only time it might not be good to keep is if you runn in tall grass, it tends to wind around behind the guard and can ruin the seal like that.