Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt problem (opinions needed)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Panther, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey guys. A buddy of mine just posted on another list about his 14 bolt. Here's the info:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Walk out to to the truck and see rear end fluid pissing out of cover. I was hoping it was pinion seal and it was just running down to cover, but it seems something inside the 14 bolt put a hole in cover from the inside out. Well, now it's snowing pretty good, but I *NEED* to know what happened to "the unbreakable rear" :-). I pop it open and see one ring gear tooth broken off near outer edge. I also see a bunch of metal crap stuck on magnet in bottom of diff. So I grab one of the metal junks and it does not look like anything I recognize.

Anyway, It is a metal strip. About 1.5 inches long, but broken off on both ends (so it was definitely longer). I was thinking maybe the outer part of a bearing cage, but it does not have broken off spots were the cage would go towards inner section to hold each separate bearing (and it does not looked curved or even look like it was curved). It is about 1/8 wide and and slightly under that in thickness. It has machined "slices" across it almost horizontal (at slight angle to horizontal) if you are holding the piece vertically.

I have no idea what it is, might be from inside detriot, but I still don't know what it did/does. Any ideas?? BTW, bearings all seem pretty tight, some slight looseness on pinion bearings, but I'm fairly sure that was here already.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sounds like a Gov-Lock part...

Rene

3. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Yep, the in the typical fashion of when a Gov-loc grenades- a hole in the diff cover.