Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Q's?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Texan, Jan 4, 2001.

1. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

14 Bolt Q\'s?

I'm sure this has been covered before but I can't find it in the archives here. At any rate, I just took a look at a 6 lug 14 bolt SF from an 88' 3/4 ton chevy and was bothered by the backing plate to backing plate dimension of 53". The 10 bolt in my 89' measures 58" from plate to plate! I know that the 88' and newer 14 bolts will require spring perch and shock mount relocation but does this sound correct for backing plate diminsions? This thing still had wheels and tires on it so I couldn't get a true outer axle to outer axle measurement but even so, I don't think the drums would push it out far enough to offset the 2 1/2"s lost on either side? Am I missing something or does this sound correct?...

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

2. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

Re: 14 Bolt Q\'s?

that was a newer body style truck right? They are smaller than the older ones as you found out .

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If you have the chance, I would recommend pulling the tires off of the sf 14 and measuring from the wheel flanges. I've never heard of anybody saying that the newer rear axles were that much narrower than the older style, and I've seen at least a couple of k5's with these axle installed.

4. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I just put a semi-float 14 bolt out of a 90 pickup under my Blazer and it was the same width as the 10 bolt that I took out. The difference in the backing plates was that the brake drums were considerably bigger.

5. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Russ,
    How far did you have to move the perches on that 90' 14 bolt? I'm not very familiar with 3/4 ton drivetrains but the one I looked at appeared to have 2 sets of perches side by side (Maybe the inner set is for lift bags or something like that?) . It was out of the truck but you could still see the u-bolt markings on the tube under the outer perches - nothing on the inner ones. Just curious if those inner ones have to go to make room to reposition the outers?..

89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

6. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Since I'm on the subject, anyone know if 14bolts have the gear ratio tagged or stamped anywhere or do you have to just count teeth? Also, should I try to use the 3/4 ton drive shaft and have it cut down or just have my existing one lengthened (adding 2" springs to my existing 4" lift) and use the adapter u-joint? I've got a chance to pick this one up for around $100-$150 bucks but the last thing I need is more scrap parts....

89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Texan on 01/05/01 01:17 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

7. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

You do have to take the inner ones off, they are close to where you are going to put the outer ones after you move them. I think the inner ones were just for the bumpstops. You might want to tighten up the shockmounts also as they hang down pretty low.
    Russ

8. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

My 14 bolt had the gear ratio stamped on the ring gear (outter edge, below teeth). Can't say if this is the way with yours.

Smitty