Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CarolinaBogger, Apr 4, 2001.

1. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

Does anyone know what year and model vehicles came with a 14 bolt semi-floater w/ 6 lugs? Also, would these axels accomodate 15" rims? I am going to beef up my drivetrain and was debating which to go for:14 bolt or 12 bolt. One last thing, is there any conversion kit for 15" 6 lug rims to mount up to a 14 bolt full-floater. Thanks guys.
    CB

2. travis

travis 1/2 ton status

Performance tire and wheel makes spacers that can be used to convert from one bolt pattern to another (ie 8 lug to 6 lug). They are pretty pricey. Pretty close to the same price you would pay for new rims. I plan on buying the 1-1/2" spacers for the rear just to widen the rear track even with the front. I think they sell for $65 each. I don't remember the website off the top of my head but I believe there is (or was) a product review on the CK5 home page.

Hope this helps,
    Travis

3. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

thanx for the info Travis.

4. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

I'm running 15" rims(15x12) chrome wagon wheels with 38x15x15 gumbos on my 14bolt with 8 lugs. back end no prob. Front D44 with 8 lugs needed just a little grinding on the calipers.

Rims are a lot cheaper than the 6 lug kit. If you're looking for a 6 lug 9 3/4" rear (I think thats what they call it), basically a 14 bolt with 6 lugs (non full floater), look for a 83-88 "Heavy Half" Chevy pickup. I've seen lots of 2wd with these axles.

Harry

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>If you get one of those axles you need to have the spring pads and shock mounts moved. I used an 83 1 ton 14 bolt in mine and got 15" 8 lug rims. All I had to do was grind the front calipers.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

6. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

Just a note on wheels and brakes: It rubs me wrong (no pun intended) to grind on the arch of a brake caliper in order to prevent a wheel from hitting it. It is a FAR better practice to obtain larger diameter wheels. The amount of material on the arch of the caliper is there for a reason. It is there to maintain the shape of the caliper and provide even pressure against the brake pads. There is a lot of pressure there. Don't increase the amount of pressure per square inch there by removing material.

7. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

There are plenty of people on this message board that CK5 has going that have ground the 3/4 ton calipers with no ill effects at all.

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

8. HarryL

HarryL 1/2 ton status

I think the point that Steve is trying to make is that the extra material on the 3/4 ton calipers is a design consideration and there for a reason. Engineers (not being one, but having a brother and many friends who are) are an exacting bunch, sometimes overkill is designed into a part for a reason. The fact that we as responsible blazer owners have taken grinders to our front calipers in no way indicates we are being irresponsible or irreverent to the design engineers. Additionally, the fact that none of us have yet suffered a catastrophic caliper failure does not mean that it cannot or will not happen......

bestens,

HarryL

9. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I agree with you 100% about anything in life can and usually does happen. There most likely will be someone at sometime (maybe even me) that wll have a caliper explode on them from to much grinding. It just sounded to me that he was making a statement to the effect that anyone who did this was going to have problems. So I was just stateing that over the last year on this board I have heard of several people doing this and wheeling the sh@# out of their rigs and not having any problems. No disrespect intended to anyone, I'm just having a conversation.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

10. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

That was just a bit of advice from an engineer who happens to have seen some calipers fail because they were ground on. That was back in the days when I was heavily into road racing and people were doing everything they could to shave weight. Tech inspectors often caught such things, but sometimes they wouldn't catch it because the crew had done a really good job of camouflaging their work...

11. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I think the half ton Z71s also have the 14 bolt SF rear axle. I would use 16" whels for better brakes, myself...
    JB