Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustyMule, Jan 15, 2005.

1. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

I was at the boneyard looking for a beefy 14 and noticed something. Is there any difference to the axle internals if the drums are a different size? I would assume not, but you never know. This is why I ask. One was out of a c20 camper special and it had 13"ish brake drums. The other was just a shortbed c20 but it had 12"ish drums. My guess is it was just different options or weight ratings. Anybody know about this? I don't wanna spend all day, 200 bucks, and a back muscle to find I grabbed the wrong one. thanks

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

From what i remember in the 14 bolt bible, all of the shafts are the same. Just the brums and backing plates are different.

3. RustyMule

RustyMule Registered Member

Thanks. I didn't think there was a difference but "assumption is the mother of all f-ups". Does anyone else know if the camper special axle comes with 4.56's or were there different options?

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

"Camper Special" doesn't dictate gears. My Dad's '79 C20 camper special came with 3.21's.