Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 BOLT QUESTIONS

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ben794X4, Feb 18, 2002.

1. ben794X4

ben794X4 Registered Member

I have been looking around my area for a 14bff most of them Ive found are around 400 bucks. Today I found a 14 bolt semifloater for 100 with the govlock and new brakes. I just dont know about this so any help is appreciated.

79 4x4 k5 stock
    3spd granny stock 350
    12 bolt open rear
    10 bolt open front
    Subvert the accepted paradigm.

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

What aren't you sure about?

what type of wheeling do you do and what size tires are you gonna run? A semi floater isn't as strong as a FF, but depending on what you're doing, you may not need a FF.

"Out in Luckenbach Texas, there ain't nobody feelin no pain" Waylon Jennings 1937-2002

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

3. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

ben-

if you're on a budget ( like me- $0), that is an ideal axle. its dimensions are superior to the 'callista' stocker, and hey, when the gov-lok works, it's better than being open!

if it's cashed out, weld it shut and go almost anywhere....

for 100 bucks, what the hell, run it till it dies....

greg

* keep the greasy side down *

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Man, I don't know how Idaho is, but here in Texas the salvage yards are overflowing with fullfloater 14 bolts. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for one and could probably get it for less.
    -- Mike

See <font color=orange> Project Old Orange! </font color=orange><a target="_blank" href=http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/>CLICK</a>

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That is a good find. Generally the FF are more plentiful, so even though the 14B SF is not as strong and doesn't have as many parts, it generally fetches a higher price used. I am running a 9.5" SF now and I am really happy with it. It is a lot stronger than a 10 or 12 bolt rear end. It can easily be converted to 6-lug, too, which may save you the cost of new wheels. Just the drums for any 14B are $80+ a piece. The used axleshafts are worth more than $100. The only reason not to buy it is if the gears are messed up or not the right ratio. But even with a gear swap, it should come in less than the $400 for the other ones.

<font color=green>Top signs you don't have a real 4x4:
    4) Twin Traction Beam
    3) Made by D.C.
    2) 5 lug nuts
    1) Unibody</font color=green>

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

The way I see it, you could go with the 14sf, but it is heavy and a still a c-clip axle...so why not go the extra mile, get the 14ff and do it once and forget about it. Build as strong as you can even if you dont think you need the strength of a 14ff(although I cannot see how that is possible), and I would think you could find a 14ff fairly cheap, or even if you have to drive a bit to get one, gas aint that expensive. $100 sounds like a deal, but a gov-lok aint nothin special, and it might need internal work as well.