Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Tshane, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Tshane

Tshane 1/2 ton status

Okay i have a few questions about 14 bolts....

1st... how much should u pay for a stock 14 bolt with 4:10 gears

2nd... how much strength difference is there in a SF and a FF( i really want to find a SF so i dont have to mess with the lug BS)

3rd... what all has to be changed to replace a 10 bolt with one

4th... Is it possible to convert a FF 14bolt into a 6 lug??

Hopefully one of you guys can help me out there /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

1. Not more than $100 in my area. Maybe $150, tops, I would guess.
    2. GO for the SF in 6-lug if you want. Harder to find, but yeah you don't have to change wheels. It isn't a big strength difference, just a saftey difference in that if the FF breaks an axleshaft the wheel won't come off. It can with the SF (or your current 10 bolt.)
    3. Conversion ujoint.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

How much you pay will depend on the condition and in some cases what it came out of. I gave $200 for mine, I have seen a couple go for less and many for more. A FF is considerably stronger. The R&P is bigger and has a stronger design. The axleshafts are bigger and don't carry the weight of the vehicle like the SF design. There are 2 wheel bearings on each side instead of 1. If you find one out of a 3/4 ton truck, It should have the spring perches and shock mounts positioned the same as your 10 bolt. I think Suburban 14 bolts will bolt right in too. The 1 ton version has a difference spring width and some did not come with shocks. Some 1 ton axles are set up for dual wheels and are narrower.

My advice: Unless you can find a 6 lug SF 14 (rare, but available), buy the FF 14. The FF is much stronger, easier to convert to disc brakes, cheaper AND easier to put a Detroit locker in.

4. manyblazers

manyblazers Registered Member

Ok guys. I'm lost here. I keep reading bout 14ff and 14sf for rear ends. What does the sf and ff stand for?

Lost in the wilds.

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

The FF means it id a Full Floating axle. The SF is a Semi Floating axle.

A semi floating axle is like the rear 10 bolt that comes in our trucks, it uses c-clip retainers to hold the axle shaft in the housing.

A full floating axle is bolted to the hub.

The biggest difference in the 2 is that in a FF axle, if you break an axle you can still limp the truck out. In a SF axle, if you break and axle the wheel/axle shaft can come out since the c-clip is no longer holding it in.

6. manyblazers

manyblazers Registered Member

Hey thanks for the quick reply. I had an 87 jimmy and the gears went in the back one day and my tire and axel did just that. I made it to the garage though, about twenty miles away. Real hard to make turns with no spider gears in the back. Took awhile to get there but I made it and 800.00 bucks later I was back on the road with and auburn rear end.

7. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I have always felt there was a significant strenth difference in the fact that a FF the axle only has to deal with the load from the engine where as the axle tube carries the truck. The SF axle carries the truck and the engine load. The axle tube still shares in the load of the truck. In other words the SF axle is morely likely to break if you really get crazy and the rest of your drive train is bulletproof.

8. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

I swapped a SF in my Sub and I love it. Kept my 15" 6-lug wheels. Which I don't think you can run 15's on a FF??? ECHOBIT does sell a 8-lug to 6-lug conversion, but good luck. My SF is also full width, and only cost me 1/2" of clearance. It took some modifications but in the end well worth it. I replaced the brake lines and e-brake cable with the ones off my 10 Bolt. Cut off and rotated up the spring hangers, as they hang down on the new style axles, i recentered my RS9012's with almost no angle. And while you have to cut off your spring hangers any way, why not point your diff at the t-case. 550 for axle, 450 for install, I'd do it again. One more thing I'm ordering my ARB next month. I like the 14 Bolt FF too but I'm not going to run 38"+ with a Big Block. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

SF stands for Semi-Floating
    FF stands for Full-Floating
    These terms refer to the method of retaining the wheel on the axlehousing. FF use a bearing hub similar to a front axle, where SF uses one bearing which rides on the axleshaft and a C-clip in the diff to keep it in place. A 10 or 12 bolt axle is SF.

10. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I don't think you can run 15's on a FF

[/ QUOTE ]
    Sure you can - easy. Disc or drum.
    -- Mike

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I second that. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

You can get a kit to keep your 6 lug rims and they will fit on the drum and disk brakes..

8 to 6 lug

13. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

hey do members get a discount on that!!