Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt rear brake parts

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by jwduke, Sep 7, 2003.

1. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

Help! I took the 14 bolt apart yesterday, I had bought, and everyrhing inside is rusted together! I know a lot of you guys have done changeovers to disc brakes, so anybody interested in getting rid of this stuff? I need both sides. I understand you can buy new springs, from the parts store. I even need the plungers for the wheel cylinders, thy are little globs of rust!!! I guess this is what a 28 year old rear end looks like! Thanks

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I'm going to disc brakes on my 14FF. I would have everything you need and the axle was just recently rebuilt. I will tear it down sometime next week and can find out exactly how good of shape everything is in. Only thing is shipping might get a little expensive cause these drums are pretty heavy.

Eric

3. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

I dont need the brake drums, Eric. Just all of the stuff to make the brakes work. I'm thinking of going the disc brake route, but everything I've read on the conversion to disc brakes, everybody ends up with spongy brakes.

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Spongy?? I've done this conversion several times now and never had one spongy. Sounds like they aren't getting bled out properly. Power bleed them. It's the only way to go.

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jwduke

jwduke 1/2 ton status

It would have to be cheaper to go this way, after you buy new shoes, turn the drums, new internal parts, etc., etc. Well I guess I'll try it. Thanks!

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree no spongy disk here either and many done and no power bleed either just good ol gravity i wonder were the problem people are putting the calipers at what clock position ??? i think thats the problem
    any way i agree go disk and dont look back
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I agree, if people don't pay attention to where the bleeder is located on the rear bracket when it's mounted, they will never fully bleed out! I've done this conversion on TWO Blazers and haven't had spongee brakes yet! in fact, they're a little too tight! I can lock up the rear almost instantly! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Roger, I have the backing plates, hardware and drums from my disk converted 14BFF if you want them. I am even farily close to you to. Make me an offer and they are yours. If you are ever driving truck this way, along I80, maybe we can meet up, or I can just ship what you want. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I can also take some pics and e-mail them if you are interested. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The brakes came off of a '77 K20. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif