Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt rear end swap questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Jul 5, 2003.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

when changing my rear end to a 14 bolt will I have to change the brakes or anything? Will it bolt right in. I assume I would need to get u joints that will work for the 14ff. any help would be useful.

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

do a search for 14 bolt swap... there are literally tons of posts here about it...

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    when changing my rear end to a 14 bolt will I have to change the brakes or anything? Will it bolt right in. I assume I would need to get u joints that will work for the 14ff. any help would be useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

napa and such carries U joints with two sizes of caps, tell them 73-79 3/4 ton on one side and other side for whatever year and axle you had originally and they will hook you up with a U joint to do that, brakes no worries just connect hose/line at the block on the axle tube or diff cover bracket and bleed them out good.

4. sasquatchhunter

sasquatchhunter Newbie

I have a 1976 k5 with a 12 bolt rear end and I was going to switch it over to a 14 bolt. I was wondering if I could get a way with not replacing the drive line right now? Is it a must or can a drive it around with the old 12 bolt one? My friend said I would but he wasn't totally sure