Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt, ring gear bolts.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GREASEMONKEY, Sep 5, 2003.

1. GREASEMONKEY

GREASEMONKEY Registered Member

I just put the detroit in my carrier and put the ring gear on. Stupid me, I lost the bolts that hold the ring gear on. Does anybody know the specs on these bolts so I can go to the hardware store and raid the bolt bin. Its a 4.56, "thick" ring gear if that makes a difference. Also, what do I torque these to? I'm not going to install the gears but I want to make it easier on my buddy who will do the install.

thanks
    -Nigel

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm not sure if the hardware store is going to have the right bolts... I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be using hardware store bolts either, the bolts that you usually get are made to pretty precise tolerances as far as thread quality and the flatness of the underside of the head. I guess it would probably be OK, but in my book it would be better to order real ring gear bolts from someone. Another option that I've done before in a pinch is to go to the dealer or a shop that does gears and talk to one of their mechanics to see if they have any used ones laying around. </font>

3. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I agree with Shaggy - DO NOT use hardware store bolts !!!
    The ring gear bolts are specific and have a certain shank dimension that you are not likely to find in a off the shelf bolt selection.
    I would always suggest using new bolts but by all means go ahead and use some used factory bolts before you use new hardware store bolts.
    Just as a note - if you go to GM to get your new bolts do not tell them that you are running a 4.56 thick gear ( it will confuse the parts guy ). The factory 4.56 and up gear uses a different length bolt than the 4.10 and down carrier.
    HTH , Tom

4. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

I believe they are a reverse thread pattern. At least my 10bolt was. I dont know of any hardware store that carries anything reverse thread.

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe they are a reverse thread pattern.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, they are regular right-hand threads. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I would never use hardware store bolts for a ring gear. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Contact your GM dealer or ARP. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. La Barge

La Barge Registered Member

1/2 inch fine thread grade 8 got them at copperstate a bolt store as i like to call it. thats all you need.....ring gear bolts are not special just grade 8 make sure you use locktite. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ring gear bolts are most definately a special bolt, they have a special shank diameter to help locate the gear properly.