Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt ?'s, and Central Texans

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txguy, Feb 19, 2002.

1. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

14 bolt ?\'s, and Central Texans

Ok, I know this has seen a lot of coverage. I found a 14 bolt on a 3500 GM box/utility truck. How do you tell if it is a SF, or FF? Also, they want 450 for it. I have seen other posts about TX junk yards having lots of them, and at this price, its on the high side. The U-Bolts, Can use the ones off my 10-bolt? Or do I need the ones off of a 14? This utility truck, I am not sure the year. Opinion wise, would this be a good donor, or should I find something that was not a commercial vehicle? I am in Austin, and was wondering what junk yards are like in San Antonio... I know they gotta have more than we do here. Anyone know an area of town in San Antonio that has a bunch of junk yards all within a few miles/blocks? Or other than the ones in Austin city limits, are there any others worth looking at in the surrounding areas of Austin?

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Re: 14 bolt ?\'s, and Central Texans

You can tell a SF from a FF by looking at the hub, a FF will have about 8 bolts in a circle on the outside (this is what holds the axle shaft in place). You will need new u-bolts, your 10 bolt u-bolts are smaller. As for price, this sounds high to me. Hope this helps.

'80 K10 350/350/NP205/14B/10B/4.10/4"Lift/Q78-Buckshots

3. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Hey Tony,

If the 14B you found is from a 2WD truck, then the shock mounts will be lower than a 4x4 model. If it's from a 1-Ton, then you will have to cut and reweld the spring perches as well. Is the truck a dualy? If so, I'm not sure of the differences. The truck being a utility truck really has no bearing on compatability. It really comes down to the model of the axle, rather then the truck.

Try Harolds up in Leander for 14 bolts. You will have to drive up there and just look through his pile of axles though. I hear you can get them from him for somewhere around $100 - $200.

As stated earlier, you will need U-Bolts for a 14B; as the 10B is a smaller diameter tube. I used my 10B spring perches with the 14B U-Bolts. It was a tight fit, but they work.

As far as San Antonio, take a drive down to Pick-N-Pull. You go in and pull your own parts. They're a lot cheaper than any other yard I've been to.

Good luck,

Thomas

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

4. txguy

txguy 1/2 ton status

Thanks, guys... I looked at my 10 bolt, and I do see the difference in the shock mounts. Thanks again.

5. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

pick-n-pull would be probably your best bet for finding a 14ff at a reasonable price. when will you be in tha san antonio area?
    a lot of that yards are in my side of town and i could point you in the right direction.

ric

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/bowtie1ton>My K5.</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/members/midnight>http://www.texasoffroad.net/galleries/members/midnight</a>

6. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

pick-in-pull is awesome! ALL austin boneyards will RIP you off (not their fault)! They are heavily governed by the EPA and therefore they have to charge alot for their parts because of the strict rules they have to obey! The fines issued to the local yards are heavy and their permits are HIGH!
    I recommend that you travel outside of the aquifer to find parts. It may cost you a little to travel but you will save in the long run!
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Just a hint for you. If you plan on going up to Harolds, Talk to Mike and only Mike. I bought both my 14FF w/ Detroit hub to hub, and my D60 Spindle to spindle for $75 a piece. Now I'm not saying you'll get this, but he has a pile of 14FF and it's all how you work the deal. He rarely gets D60 in, so don't hold your breath! Plus, I've been looking for it for a year now. The second secret to Harolds is to look through their side pile and explain to mike that it's not on the truck! Mike only works during the week but he runs the show up there. If you speek to anyone else about price, they'll rip you off!

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

<font color=red>My Wife:</font color=red>"Only two minor cosmetic problems: The inside and the outside!"

<hr></blockquote>
    1972 K5 6.5L,465,203/205Doubler,14FF/D60

8. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Just a hint for you. If you plan on going up to Harolds, Talk to Mike and only Mike. I bought both my 14FF w/ Detroit hub to hub, and my D60 Spindle to spindle for $75 a piece. Now I'm not saying you'll get this, but he has a pile of 14FF and it's all how you work the deal. He rarely gets D60 in, so don't hold your breath! Plus, I've been looking for it for a year now. The second secret to Harolds is to look through their side pile and explain to mike that it's not on the truck! Mike only works during the week but he runs the show up there. If you speek to anyone else about price, they'll rip you off!

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

<font color=red>My Wife:</font color=red>"Only two minor cosmetic problems: The inside and the outside!"

<hr></blockquote>
    1972 K5 6.5L,465,203/205Doubler,14FF/D60

9. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

Just to clarify, Harolds is actually in Briggs about 15 to 20 miles north of Leander on 183. Reason I say that is because there is a boneyard in Leander off of 2243, but they wanted $300 initially for a 14FF so I didn't think it was worth wasting my time trying to haggle. Haven't actually been to Harolds but I've heard good things from several people...

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    89 K5 Blazer
    94 GMC K3500 Crew Cab 4x4
    98 Pontiac GTP

10. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Harold's.. I'm not saying anymore.. [​IMG]

I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. www.rocko.rockcrawler.com

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Houston is just a stone's throw from Austin.
    Houston is, from my personal observances, loaded with the 14 bolts. I wouldn't go to a junkyard directly in Houston, but rather to one in Pasadena (southeast side).
    If it's a full-floater, it will have eight extra bolt heads on the part of the axle you can see through the center of the wheel. Those extra bolts holds the axleshaft in place. Only full floaters will have it, period.
    Do make sure to measure spring perch width. There are plenty of 14 bolts out there so why get one that has to have them rewelded? Just bring your tape measure to the junkyard.
    -- Mike

See <font color=orange> Project Old Orange! </font color=orange><a target="_blank" href=http://users3.ev1.net/~mattell/>CLICK</a>