Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muley, Nov 8, 2002.

1. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

14 bolt ?\'s

Well my 10 bolt in the rear is in need of a serious over haul. I have looked at it and figure it could be rebuilt for around 3 to 4 bills. How ever for 3 to 4 bills, I could get a 14 bolt to drop under it. So now the questions.

1. Am I dreaming, or are there 14 bolts out there that will just bolt in. I did some measuring an it looks like the spring perches are 45" outer edge to outer edge. Know what year of vehicle to look for it under?

2. Will I get lucky and have the shock mounts on the right side and distance apart? I got 37" outer edge to outer edge. However, drivers side needs to be rear facing and passenger side needs to be forward facing.

3. 15" wheels. Will they work? Do not really want to invest in new tires just yet. Figure there is no way around wheels at this point.

Any answers would be great.

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Re: 14 bolt ?\'s

#1) 14 bolts out of a 3/4 ton pickup will bolt right in.

#2)The shock mounts on the 3/4 ton 14 bolts will fit

#3)15" rims will work on a 14 bolt if it has drums. If you convert it to rear disk they wont work with out caliper grinding.

There are a couple of things to consider. If you go to a 14ff, you will need 8 lug wheels. You have a couple of options here. (1)Convert the front to 8 lug also, (2) carry a 6 lug and an 8 lug spare /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif (3) Get a 14Semi floater which is 6 lug. It has the larger axle shafts so you get added strength, but is still a C-clip design. If you dont have huge tires or dont do hardcore wheeling it should be fine.

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

IMO, do the 14 bolt ff swap, its cheap and reliable. Spend the money to convert the front to 8-lug, and buy some new 8 lug 15" rims. Lots of people argue that this is expensive, I did my complete swap including 8 lug conversion, new brakes, new wheel bearings, new rims for about $500-$600. It will cost you a few hundred to repair or replace your 10 bolt, and likely you will have more problems in the future. If you go to 8 lug rims now, if you ever upgrade the front to a D60, you already have rims. I think this makes for a good foundation for your truck and you can then worry about other things, and not your axles. Although the front is still 1/2 ton strength after the swap, the rear end will be basically worry free and get you home.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What outlaw612 said, with a couple of modifications... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A 14 bolt FF from a 4WD 3/4-ton pickup will bolt right in. I seem to recall that someone got one from a 2WD and the shock mounts were reversed. Not a big deal if you have a grinder (to cut 'em off) and a welder (to put 'em on right).

Even with a rear disc coversion on my 14-bolt, my 15 inch wheels fit over my Caddy calipers just fine. But up front, I had to do quite a bit of grinding to get them to fit over the calipers on my Dana 44HD.

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I seem to recall that someone got one from a 2WD and the shock mounts were reversed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a 3/4 ton 14 FF out of a 2wd truck. The shock mounts were in the right location, although they hung around 2" too low. I had to move the mounts up.

Depending on how you use your truck I would probably go with the 14 SF if your looking for a good quick fix, not to mention hundreds of dollars less then the 14FF swap. The 14 SF is still a lot stronger then the 10 bolt but you would not have to worry about the 8 lug swap either. If you are planning on running big meats or abusing the truck then by all means go with the 14 FF.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Thanks! I knew there was something about the 2WD axle that meant breaking out the welder! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info guys. I have a lead on a FF. So if that falls through I will start the search for a SF. If I have to carry two spares, that I guess that would not be to bad. We will have to see what set up I can get.

Thanks again for the help.

8. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm doing the change over right now, I'm adding disk brakes to my 14 bolt and making up a spacer ring that will allow me to keep my 6 lug rims... I haven't made them yet so if you want, I could make you up a set...let me know /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Shoot me some pics when you have it done. That would solve a lot of problems till I get around to converting the front end to 8 lug.

10. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I always forget to say it has to be from a 4wd /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Swapping the 14 bolt to rear discs will fit a 15" wheel no problem.
    -- Mike

12. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Lets say I am heading down the raod to swapping out the 10 bolt for a 14 bolt, what little items do I need to do the swap? I figure U-bolts and a U-joint that will handle the bigger yoke.

Are the brake line fittings and park brake set up going to be pretty much the same?

Any additional direction would be great.

13. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I think you are ok, I got a 14 bolt and it went right in with out any problems, there are vatiations though and I dont know if they are all the same.