Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt, seals, new drums(kinda),woman out of town...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Jul 11, 2001.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

OK,
    my woman is out of town for 12 days. So I have time (and her car) to take off my 14bolt and refurbish the bitch. RUSS gave me some pretty much brand new rear drum brakes. What is involved. I am going to use my drums and the pads he gave me. Do I have to take the axle out and replace seals when doing this? I have never done it berfore so bare with me.

I am also going to grind off my spring perches and set them with a tack weld where they should be and take it somewhere to have it professionally welded on.

later

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Woohoo, While the women is away, you get to play [​IMG]

To get the drums off, you'll need to take the axle shaft out. When you put it back on, all you need is some silicone. I used Blue RTV. You could use black if you wanted to.

The only other seal you might want to replace is the one that is inside the hub; which is connected to the drum. They're $3 at autozone, or you can get the good ones at NAPA for $8.

I did a speedi sleeve write up on the 14B FF. It's not what you will be doing, but the pics might be of some help to you.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://off-road.ws/index.cfm?vwart=&artid=11>Here is the link</A>

Good luck,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

3. BeyondReason

BeyondReason Registered Member

I just did this. Slide the axles out and put them where they won't get dirty. I suggest doin' these one at a time and keeping the side you have taken apart up higher than the diff case. If all is level, you will lose alot of axle fluid. Anyway, after the axle is removed, you have to remove the rim. There is a big nut, a keeper, another big nut and a washer in that order to remove. after these are removed, the drum assembly should slide off. You may have to adjust your brake shoes in if the drum feels like its in a bind. That adjustment is done at the slot in the bottom back of the wheel assembly. Anyway, if your repalceing the entire assembly then remove the four bolts that attach the brake back plate to the axle. A rubber mallet comes in handy in dislodging this plate. It looks like it is welded. Its not, unless someone outside the factory "modified" it. Don't forget to undo the brake lines.... Be careful though, those fittings are very soft and easily stripped. Now reassemble in the opposite order and your done. If your just doing shoes and have never done chevy brakes before, take good notes or better yet take a picture of the assembly before you tear into it. Any more questions shoot me an email....walker@citycorporation.com

Good Luck

BeyondReason

4. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Man, I hate drum work!! Whenever you get a chance, do a rear disk conversion...better stoppage and easier to work on. [​IMG]
    Anyhow, the guys pretty much said it all. You'll need to remove the axle shaft first, then lock ring, then then small rectangular piece that goes into the lock ring (keeps the lock ring from moving), then the lock ring, then tap the drum off. The hub comes out with the drum (they're attatched by the wheel studs). Replacing the inner hub seals is cheap insurance, but a pain to do. There is a Seal pryer tool out there, but I used a long screw driver and a sledge and pryed the mofo out. (that's the frustraing part). Then put to put the new seal in, I positioned the seal and then placed a 2x4" on top of it and tapped it in evenly. Then, you're done. I would put a light coat of grease on the rubber seal part too. That way, it will seal better. Good luck
    Boss

89' 1 TON of FUN K5

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Thanks fellows,

Yeah I am replacing the whole assembly so pretty sure it is the four bolts holding it on. The fun part I think will be grinding those damn spring perches off!

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I hate drums too! But unfortunately, they don't make a disc conversion for the 14 bolt SF.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

Talk to baby blue. He has disks on his 14 bolt SF