Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14-bolt Semi-Float, 14-bolt Full-Float

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BozoWise, Apr 15, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

How can you tell the difference between the 14-bolt Semi-Float, 14-bolt Full-Float. Which one is prefered and why? Thanks in advance. I am about to do some swaping for my gm 12 bolt rear

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Try a search.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The Full Floater is prefered. It is cheaper, stronger (alot stronger), cheaper for parts to work on it. A detroit locker is only $350 or less.

The way to tell them apart is easy. The FF has a big hub sticking out of where the wheel mounts, and the SF hub is just like a normal 10 or 12 bolt hub (flat).

I picked my FF for $200, 4.56 gears are $200, install kit for gears is $150+/-, gear install is $200, brakes and bearings are around $150+/-, hybrid ujoint is $25, and if you want one, a detroit locker is $350. So for $1200+/- you have a completely rebuilt axle that you couldn't break with a built big block and 44's.

I am going to have my spider gears welded like the tech article, and save myself the $350 for the detroit.

4. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I felt that the bolted assem. sticking through the center of the wheel was for the FF. Once again thanks for the info.

My search was leading me no-where on the way to identify them.