Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt semi-floater of full-floater???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fad2blk99, Dec 8, 2001.

1. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I've been shying away from a 14 bolt FF due to the large amount of un-sprung weight of 10 1/2 in ring-gear and excessive gross weight of full-floating hubs. So I'm thinking of going with the 9.5 in SF 14 bolt. The smaller ring-gear (while still more than adequate) will allow for more housing clearancing- similar to that of the Dana-Trac 60's. However, this will all be void if the axle shafts aren't the 1.5 inch shafts that are in the FF. What do you guys (and gals) think? Am I on to something?

<font color=black> -Tommy
    <font color=red>"To secure peace is to prepare for war..."

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The SF shafts are 1.375" 33 spline and use C clips to retain the axle.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What size tires, how much power, what type of wheelin?

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I probably won't go bigger than 38's. The mouse will get an overhaul (as much as my pocketbook can afford)-I would love to get that 350 Ramjet. As far as wheelin- I'm into all kinds, but mostly trail and mud. I mainly want this thing to be bullet proof. I've nursed rigs that I've taken the cheap route with, and now with my latest project, I wanna do things a little better. I'm tired of goin out on the trail with a handful of u-joints, tools, etc., and still worrying about breaking. I've got somewhat of a plan together from past expieriance, I just want to perfect it with y'alls help. Thanks for the input!

5. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

How does that compare to the 12 bolt (as far as shaft size)?

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Bullet Proof = 14BFF.

You can shave the 14 bolt to get better ground clearence. There is an article in the tech section.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Unless you were doing it to keep 6 lugs instead of 8, I wouldn't bother. You can scrape the heck out os a 14B FF and shave it. Also disk brake conversions are pretty cheap and that will shed about 200 pounds. The 14B SF is great but seems like for the costs why not just get the FF version.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Yeah.. thats what I keep figuring out. Weather trying to build a 10/12 bolt or going with the 14 bolt SF, in the long run the 14 bolt FF just makes more sense. I was just looking for ways to shed some weight and not sacrifice strength. Thanks

9. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I would agree with what was said.. go with the Full Floater, you will be GLAD you did...

besides I dont think you will notice the weight difference in real life anyway.. then again what do I know, doesnt seem like you would though.

plus the 14FF looks better :) and disc brake conversions are cheap and plentiful which will shed considerable weight, like was said.

mike

10. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

In all reality get the drums out of there and the weight of the rotating parts get much lighter which is what really counts. The rest of the weight isn't gonna make a huge difference being it down lower in the truck (helps offset the top heaviness if you have larger tires and such) plus look at the truck. It is a 5500-6500 beast so I really don't think the few extra pounds will be a huge killer. Isn't like you are running the quarter mile.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>