Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14-bolt sf 6 lug?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joe84bb, Jul 3, 2000.

1. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

Is this true that you can get a 14 bolt in a 6 lug pattern? If so what years/makes can you get them out of? Please excuse my ignorance.

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm not sure on this but I think you have to do a custom conversion on one. They don't come from the factory as a 6 lug.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I believe you can buy some sort of spacer that will convert an 8 lug to 6 lug.

89 K5 Silverado

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I think the DID come factory 6lug SF14bolt, I think.
    Only reason I think this is cuz a 1/2ton Suburban has 6lugs!
    And I have seen SF14bolts/6lug under more than one of theas 1/2ton Burbs.
    What years? I don't know but would guess late 70s to early 80s

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>GM made an 8 lug version of the sf 14 bolt starting in (i think) 83. they came in pickups, vans and subs. After 88, they started making them in 6 lug. they were put mostly in 3/4 tons and some heavy-duty half tons, but a few of the 6 lug ones were put in the 88-91 suburbans and crew-cab 3/4 ton 2WDs (I think).the easiest swap would be one from an 88-91 suburban because i think the frame distances are the same, but i don't know for sure. you can find a pre-88 9.5" from a p/u and simply change the shafts and drums to 6 lug. that way the spring pads and shock mounts should be in the right position. the 88-up 9.5s require moving the spring pads and shock mounts. </font color=blue>

6. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

First I`d like to say that the SF14bolt is one of the best axels for a modified Blazer. Now the SF came in what they called(heavy halfs) from 81`to 85` in 6lug 4x4 versions. The dealers carry stock numders but good luck trying to order one. I have scaned every boneyard in the US for one of these axels with on luck, and I`m not kiddin` about that! Your only option is to use a late model axel shaft, and have it cut and resplined to the old axel size. These late model axels are easy to find in 6lug but once you cut a axel it just is not as strong as stock. Plus the extra cost at the shop is going to cost so much that it would be cheaper to change to 8lug on the front axel. One other thing I found is to have a shop make you a spacer that will convert 8 to 6lug. Now this is going to be a custom one off part so the price is going to be high. The spacer will take up some tracking but they should beable to keep it kinda` thin. If you want the names of contacts that I found when I was looking for the same thing you can Email me at K5_75@hotmail.com. Good Luck

7. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

when you refer to changing the shafts and drums, what all does that incurr? Please, again I'm sorry if these are stupid questions, but i'm kind of a virgin at this swapping axles thing.

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.

8. turbo

turbo 1/2 ton status

You guys are making up years.
    The 8 lug semi floater 14 bolt was around in 82 as my 82 8600 GRW K20 Burb has one.
    In the early 80's they made a option of 8600 so that they would be over 8500 and expemt from cat and most other emissions junk.
    My friend has a K10 burb heavy 1/2 made in 89 and it has 6 lug 10 bolts front and rear. The spec sheet says it has the higher rated of the 2 brake options and that is why he calls it a heavy half.

One downside of the semifloater 14 bolt is it is by far the most expensive to convert to rear disc brakes.

9. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    My truck now has a 93 3/4 ton SF 14 w/discs stuffed under her back end. The 6lug 14blt is pretty common. You just have to look for them. The junk yards are full of them around here...

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm not guaranteeing this information, but it is based on several previous conversations on this board and some searching on my part:
    The semi-floating 14 bolt (9.5" ring gear) is very common in the "older" style GM trucks (starting in the early '80's and going until '87, and the '88-'91 Subs), but it seems as if the vast majority of these are 8-lug. I have heard that there were some 5-lug versions used in the "heavy halfs" 2 wheel drives back in the early '80's but I have never heard of or seen a 6-lug version in the pre '88 trucks (but that doesn't mean they don't exist). These axles should be a direct replacement for K5's except for the wheel bolt pattern. Superior Axle supposedly has 6-lug axles for these (about $150 per axleshaft) and then you would have to do something about the brake drum. Concerning the comment on cutting and resplining axleshafts, I'm not sure why you would do this. I'm curious as to whether all SF 14's use the same length axle shaft (they should use the same spline count and diameter). If this was the case you could find a pre-'88 axle which would bolt into a K5, and then swap in the axleshafts and brake drums off of a 6-lug 14.
    In '88 with the release of the new style trucks, GM offered an 6-lug SF 14 bolt in the light duty 2500 (3/4 ton) series while the heavy duty 2500's had an 8-lug SF 14-bolt. I believe the 6 lug 14 was also offered in some Tahoes and Suburbans with various levels of towing packages and such. These 6 lug axles would need the spring perches and the shock mounts (probably) moved to be swapped into a K5 (Corey Perez did this).