Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt SF axle housing width?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Jimmy, May 9, 2001.

1. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know if the 14 bolt SF housings are all the same width. I've done quite a bit of research on this in the past couple of days and found out that the 14 SF came with at least 3 (that I could find, maybe more) different length axle shafts. 33 1/8" for 88-98 six luggers, 32 9/32" for 81-98 for 8 luggers (perfect overall length for a swap into a blazer as its 3-3.5" wider than a 12 bolt), and 31 13/16 also for 88-98 8 luggers. Check out http://www.drivetrain.com/index.html and look at axles as well as diff parts. I was wondering if the axle housing were the same width and the axles maybe protruded from the end of the housing by different amounts with the axles having their bearing and seal surfaces offset along the axle shaft to compensate for the longer or shorter shaft. This would also require different brake drums to reflect this offset. This would mean that the 6 and 8 lug axles are indeed interchangable. Just wondering????????
    I know going with a 14 FF would make thigs much simpler but I just shelled out a lot of hard earned $ for new centerlines and 35s and like the tire selection with 15" rims.
    Basically I'm wondering if 6 lug 14 bolt SF axles and drums will for sure swap into an '86 Suburban 14 bolt SF 3/4T 8 lug rear........

James

79jimmy@home.com

2. michaelm

michaelm 1/2 ton status

why bother swapping. the SF isnt a real 14 bolt may as well keep what you have now

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I have every piece here at work that you mention. I just don't have the luxury of mixing'n'matching on company time.

I was able to measure a 6 and 8 lug drum. The 6-lug is 5-1/4" deep, and the 8 is 6-5/8". Because of the width difference, you would need a shorter axle to make the drum work - reducing your track width.

The 6-lug 2wd axle may work since they're (approx) 31-3/4" and would compensate for the shallower drum. Of course, the difference in length (approx 1-3/8") times two puts you almost 3" narrower again, comparable to the 12-bolt.

If there is enough bearing surface, the longer axle may work, but the 6-lug backing plate would need to be spaced out over 2" to meet the drum. I'd look at the axles I have in the warehouse, but they get polished removing any signs of where the bearing/seal rides on the shaft.

You can also up the ante and go for the 4x4 6-lug (88-98)version or the 2500 Savana/Express version. (I can get track-widths for these later) Spring perches and shock mounts would have to be fabricated however.