Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt SF questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Janitorjim8, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

So today at the junkyard, i was looking for a 10 bolt just to get in my truck because i need to get it running again (had 3.42s) Found 2 10 bolts, one under a K5 and one just sitting there from a 92 truck. Then i stumbled upon a 6 lug 14 bolt , figured it was a SF from what i have read here- it was on a 3/4 ton 2 wd truck, probably a 88- whenever body style. Im gonna go get it tommroow probably, but will it bolt right in or will the spring perches be different? i know i need the conversion joint i will just search for that. I have to see what gears it has also- hopefully 4.10s, then i will upgrade the front too

2. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

Sorry, it's not a bolt in, the spring perches are different. there was an article in a mag about this waaaay back, the width is okay, but they moved the perches.

3. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

Whats involved in moving the perches in- im sure just cutting them off and rewelding them right? does anyone know how much they have to be moved

4. Jrgunn5150

Jrgunn5150 1/2 ton status

I dunno about where they go, but yes, you would grind them off, then reattach them wherever you need them. You would also be able to rotate your axle to correct any pinion angle problems you might have at this time.

5. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Measure the overall width... the 2wd version is quite narrow... ~63-64" or so. IIRC, its the wider 4wd most often swapped into th eolder rigs.

4.10 would be extremely unlikely. 3.42 or 3.73 are most common.