Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt SF Strength

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dysphemism, Oct 31, 2001.

1. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

Hey another question for everyone. What is the biggest tire I can run on a 14 Bolt SF without worrying about strength issues? Would a 44 give me hell? I run 38s now and will run 40s once they wear out, or possibly 42s depending on how often I will drive it on the street. Right now it is 4" higher than the legal meximum frame height so I dont want to be pulled over more than I am now! Ive heard the SF is as strong as a dana 60 rear. Give me your opinions please.

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

As always, the answer is, "it depends". If you got enough torque, low gears, big tires, and have a driving style that makes rock-crawling more like rock-racing, then you can snap 14FFs with ease. However, if you run normal trails, moderate mud or rocks, sand etc. OR do the more extreme stuff with caution and finesse, then the SF may hold for a while.

Me, on a full size with 40+, I would go 14FF, period. Cheap, reliable, and common. The only reason I could see for the SF would be to run 6 lug wheels or clearance/weight issues. If your running 40+, these last two become much less significant. Unless you REALLY want to stick with 6 lugs (do you already have 8?) then I would get a $300 FF with the gears you want/need, sell your SF (desirable with smaller tires for 2 reasons stated, more expensive) , pocket the difference, and call it good...

Obviously, this is just my opinion. I've never run the SF14 and I would personally start leaning toward 14FF on anything over 35s.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How about if you experiment and let us know how the SF holds up? I want to know what these things can take.

The fact that they have C-clips sometimes makes people who have never seen them assume that they are just like a 10 or 12-bolt, but of course you already know that isn't true.

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

4. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status

I'm running 38's on the 14 Bolt SF with no problems. Then again I'm also running a D44 in the front. I guess I'm not that hard on it. I'll punish it a little this weekend.

Chad

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I destroyed both a 10 bolt and 12 bolt on the street with 35s, but I've yet to tear up my 14 SF with 4.10s and a posi that I got for the grand total of..........FREE!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

6. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

The only downfall I can see in the 14B SF is the design in that it is still a SF axle. C-clips and the fact that the weight of the trucks still rides on the bearings and axles, but I really think they will take almost anything you can dish out to them Those axle shafts are HUGE! A 14BFF will be much cheaper and a bit better, but if you really want to keep the 6 lug apttern or whatever then by all means go for it. I would to get one but nothing close by is even close to reasonably priced and anytime one is out state the seller is reluctant to ship or it kills the deal.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>