Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt SF strength

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1972Blazer, Jun 16, 2003.

1. 1972Blazer

1972Blazer 1/2 ton status

Basicly just want to know what a 14 Bolt SF 6 lug setup is capable of handling in respect to tire size? What size shafts it has and if any parts are interchangable with the 14 Bolt FF like the lockers and axle shafts etc.?

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

4 Wheel parts magazine rated them as handling up to 38's, but they also said that a 10 bolt handles 35's well. I asked a while ago if anyone had ever broken one, no one who replied had done it.
    No parts interchange between 14 bolt SF and FF

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 14bsf 6-lug with 36x14.5x15 and haven't had any problems so far. The 6-lug shafts are the same size as the 8-lug shafts. A respectable 4wd shop in town (respectable to me) said that I shouldn't have any problems running a 14bsf with 36's.

4. 1972Blazer

Thanks for the input, I am running with 35" BFG MT right now and the biggest I might go is 37" so I should be fine. Thanks again!

5. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

of coarse that is that nice thing about a 14bff...no one ever says you "should be fine" running one of those /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Matt (baby blue) sheared the center pin on his 8-lug 14SF. I haven't heard of much other problems with those axles. He was running some half bald 36's and it broke 1 day of driving after we did a trail called Rockhouse Canyon. I rotated the axle tube of my 12B on the same trip.

I have no idea how he sheared the thing. It is huge! The axle shafts are massive as well. But I would have to guess that you would put in a LSD or locker before it went under your truck so it wouldn't matter.

Edit:
    Before Matt had the 8-lug 14 SF he had a 6-lug one. He had disc brakes on it and a Detroit. He broke about 4 sets of 30 spl 10B front shafts and never had a problem with the rear.

7. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

My 86 has a 14-sf on 38" swamper radials. Hasn't had any issues but the engine is bone stock and it has no traction device in it. I think more people are concerned with what might happen if you were to break one than how hard it is to break one. You just don't have the confidence that you do with a ff out back.

8. 1972Blazer

I think I am going to look for a 14 Bolt SF with the same width as the front Dana 44. I will build it with a Detroit Locker and Disc Brakes, I am sure it will hold up to what I do. I play most in the sand so I dont need a super flexy suspension and dont get enough traction while wheeling to brake anything as big as a 14 Bolt SF. From what I understand they are about the same width as the front Dana 44 under my Blazer now, I will undating that with ORD Shafts Detroit Soft Locker and CTM Universals. I cannt wait to get back and get started again. I need my Blazer back up and running for the Desert Season this fall, I just wont be home till September. If I work real hard I can have it finished in time for the New Year Blast at either Glamis or another maybe Greys Well?

9. 1972Blazer

Anyone know of a 14 Bolt SF for a decent price in the Southern California or surrounding area?

10. 96chevysfa

96chevysfa 1/2 ton status

i may be wrong, but arent the s/f shafts smaller than the ff shafts, i thought they were the same size as gm 10 bolt shafts, like 1.28 or 1.31 i forgot.

11. 1972Blazer

From what everyone tells me they are the same size shafts as the 14 bolt FF. Like 1.5 I believe?

12. dysphemism

dysphemism 1/2 ton status

13. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

14. 89GMCSuburban

GM 14 Bolt Semi-Float
    9.5" Ring Gear
    1.4" Axle Shafts/ 33 spline
    Comparable in strength to a semi-float Dana 60
    This was straight out of a mag....

15. 1972Blazer

Thanks for clarifying that for me. I have been on the search function for 2 days looking for details.

The 6 lug 14SF are about 1" wider then the 8 lug 14SF, 1.4" axle diameter, 3 3/8" tube diameter, ring and pinion is interchangable between 8 and 6 lug 14SF, spring perches and shock mounts need to be changed, 6 lug 14SF is about the same width as Dana 44 front, it seems to hold up well to tires up to 38", only 2 accounts of a problem with breakage due to real heavy off road use, non were catastrofic (do use a stock Gov Locker). It would seem that this axle has everything I want in an axle as far as width, strength, availability, parts interchangability.

I am looking at building it with custom forged axles, disc brakes, detroit locker, 4.56 gears and an over the axle truss and differential cover with bearing preload by Missouri Offroad Outfitters. I do believe this will be expensive but still less then a custom Dana 60 and will be bullet proof for what I intend to do with it.

This also matches what I want to do with the Dana 44 front axle I have at this time. I figure I can make the front axle as bullet proof for my use by, ORD shafts, CTM universal joints, Detroit True Trac, 4.56 gears and an over the axle truss and differential cover with bearing preload by Missouri Offroad Outfitters.

Thanks again everyone for all the help and putting up with all the questions!

16. 89GMCSuburban

No problemo...we need pics when you're done, though!

17. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am looking at building it with custom forged axles, disc brakes, detroit locker, 4.56 gears and an over the axle truss and differential cover with bearing preload by Missouri Offroad Outfitters.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Why don't you just use a 14ff? You can leave it stock and have more strength than a built up 14sf. You can probably even find one with 4.56 and a detoit already installed.

Also there is axle swap info right here at ck5 everyone seems to forget about http://coloradok5.com/axleswap.shtml

18. 1972Blazer

I am sorry but the 14FF is just to heavy for me. I just dont have a need to carry it around with me everywhere I go. Gas prices in California are unreal too, but thanks!