Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt SF swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90STYLE, Jun 27, 2002.

1. 90STYLE

90STYLE Registered Member

I know this too has been talked about at nausium. but I cant find a replacement 10 bolt 3.73 for my 90 blazer. I can find 14 bolt sf 6 lug posi rears all day for alot cheaper than it going to cost me to rebuild my blown to bits 10 bolt. I dont plan on keeping this truck as I have another project under way... What ALL does it take to put in the 14 bolf SF rear end. and do i have to find one from a 2 wheel drive or a 4x4??? help would be much appriciated from somebody who has pulled this off already. any u-joint mods or e-brake problems that may be a problem??? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">The spring pads and shock mounts are in the wrong place. I belive the brake lines and u-joints are the same.

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i think the spring pads are the same as a 1/2ton, it's 1 tons that are different.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

The spring perches and shock mounts have to be moved either way you look at it being that all the 6 lug 14sf's came in the newer bodied trucks where the springs are further outboard. As for 2wd or 4wd, you will have to go with 4wd (2wd is 5 lug, although I can't say that I've ever seen a 5 lug 14sf). Other than that, it is just a matter of finding an axle with the proper gear ratio. Sorry I can't help with the U-joint or E-brake questions.

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Did vans come w/ 5 lug SF14B or were they all 8 lug?

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I think vans just came with FF's, most SF's are under Subs and some 3/4 p/u's

7. rlhenry

rlhenry Registered Member

I just did this swap a couple of months ago. Spring perches need to be moved. Shock mounts do too. The original shock mounts on the 14SF will be quite a bit lower than the stock 10B. You will have to find the shorter style to use the same shocks since the longer (lower) mounts will probably cause your shocks to bottom out. You could also get longer shocks, but I like the clearance with the shorter mount.

The brake lines and e-brake cables are all the same.

The pinion yoke on the 14SF accepts a larger u-joint, but you can use the yoke from your 10B so you don't need a combo-joint or a new yoke on the driveline. Either way, you can make that work.

You will also need to decide what kind of spring mounts you want. The 14SF had a u-bolt that wraps the springs and has an axle plate on the bottom. I think that creates clearance problems so I ordered u-bolts and spring plates for an older ('87) 3/4 ton Suburban. They wrap the axle and face up just like you're 10 bolt. Your stock u-bolts and spring plates won't work since the 14SF has a bigger axle tube.

The axle is also about 4 inches wider than the 10B, but I like the way it looks since it matches the front axle.

All of this went well with an '84 Blazer and a '91 14SF. There may be a few differences depending on what year the 14SF is, but I think the rest is about the same on a '90 Blazer.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.