Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt SF tech re-visited

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tRustyK5, Oct 6, 2002.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

OK, my buddy who is building up his 89 Blazer just picked up a SF 14 bolt and a 8 lug 10 bolt front...both with 4.10's and a gov lock in the 14 bolt /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

The 10 bolt required a bit of cleaning and new brakes...the 14 bolt has a chipped spider gear. He has 3 options I think. Number one is to replace the spiders, number two is to go with a full detroit (too rich for his blood) and number 3 is to add a lock-right. Can a gov-lock carrier in a 14 SF be used with a lock-right? I swear I read that it could...but my SF knowledge is lacking /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Next question...what is the dis-assembly procedure for removing the spiders? We pulled the carrier and removed the ring gear, removed the cross shaft and tried to rotate the spiders out the carrier window with no luck. The thrust block hits the gov-lock crap...I assume the weights and junk need to be removed? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Give me whatever info or links you have. He really wants a lock right but if the gov-lock carrier can't be used for that he'd at least like to replace the damaged spider gears.

Rene

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

from what i've heard a SF gov-loc carrier cannot be used with a lock right. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

3. tRustyK5

Anyone else? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Rene

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

5. tRustyK5

OK, so the lock-right is a no-go in a gov-lock carrier. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Anyone know how to get the damn spiders out?

Rene

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

What about getting an open carrier out of the junkyard and then getting a Lock-right. The 14SF is pretty common.

7. tRustyK5

My buddy wants a FF. He ran across these axles with the ratio he wanted for $350 cdn ($220 US). The front itself is worth more than that so he went with it hoping the SF was in decent shape. We've both been scouring the want ads for a FF with 4.10's but have come up empty so far...lot's of 3.73 FF's out there though/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I just called Randy's ring and pinion and was informed the Gov-lock is not a rebuildable carrier...so replacing the chipped spider gear is not an option.

My buddy would have glady stuffed a lock right into it, but isn't willing to source an open carrier, then get a lock right, reset the gears all for a SF 14. He's gonna make sure there are no loose chunks and re-assemble it, then keep an eye out for a FF with the right gears.

He has to have the truck ready for his big fishing trip in 2 weeks...

Rene

8. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey Rene, I've got a 14SF Crap-lock carrier sitting here that your buddy can have. I've never run it so I don't know what kind of shape its in. Guy I bought the rear end from said it worked so who knows. I think it still has the bearings on it. Might be a good "Setting up your own gears" project. Let me know.

James

9. tRustyK5

Thanks James, he is busy at this moment installing the carrier he has back in the diff as I'm typing this. I'll call him and see what he thinks...

PM me your number again...I swear I'll write it down this time/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

10. tRustyK5

Well James...the new carrier is installed and my buddy is quite happy with it! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks again!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

11. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

No Worries. Thanks for clearing some room on my workbench. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif How did the pattern turn out?

James

12. tRustyK5

We didn't have any marking compound...and only one shim so it was a relatively moot point. The backlash seemed good though...I guess we'll find out when he drives it some /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Rene