Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt SF Universal---10 Bolt DriveShaft

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Monster, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Monster

Monster Registered Member

Well I bought the universal #447 percision ujoint. Couple of questions.

1)My drive shaft has the outside snap ring not the inside C-clip type. The U-Joint 447 has the Inside C-clip type. Why?

2)On the 14 Bolt SF is it supposed to have any type of snap ring for it or does it just bolt on the yoke???

2. Monster

UDATEING MY QUESTION

Just took off The U-Joint off my Drive shaft.
    The width from cap to cap is 3" 3/16
    and the cap diameter 1" 1/16.

The U-Joint 447 from cap to cap is 3" 5/8
    cap diameter 1" 3/16

Do I have a stock drive shaft? May be the person who owned it before me changed it???

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

the u-joint you need depends not only on your old rear end, but on your transmission as well.. try a precision 348.. thats what i used to go from my 10 bolt 465 to 12 bolt..

4. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

if no one replies with the correct part # take both measurements that you just gave and most part stores will be able to get you the correct conversion U-Joint.

5. Monster

Thanks for the info I'll look into that other part number.
    Also I will bring the measurements to the autoparts store.

<font color="blue"> 86K5,4"suspension,2"body,35bfg,Hotted 700-R4,300Hp,audio Bahn 18"Subwoofer,1200amp,and a broken 10bolt, followed by a EMPTY Wallet. </font> /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. slimlynn1

slimlynn1 1/2 ton status

447 should be the right one. There are two different sizes on the u-joint. The smaller one goes on the shaft and the larger one goes on the axle yoke. The measurements you gave for the 447 joint are the larger side, this side has no retainer clips. The smaller side has the internal retaining clips. These should be about 2 5/8 in appart. If you just took off the original u-joint there shouldn't have been any retaining clips, there should have been the plastic crap there. Measure the smaller size of the u-joint and then measure the shaft yoke. It should fit.