Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt SF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, May 6, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Been looking for some axles and come across a set of 3/4 ton axels but the rear is a SF. Anyone running this setup and if so how do you like it. I was looking for a FF but I might have to get this unless I find a set with a FF soon. Suggestions, rants and praises will be accepted all day.

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I have the 6-lug version of the SF rear. So far it has been pretty good to me. I did break a housing on one but that was because whoever had it before me welded the perches on completely wrong and messed the housing up. But they are a great axle, never had any problems out of it besides that.

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm running the 8lug versions right now. I've had no problems but I'm soon to replace it with the 14FF thats sitting in my shop floor. I know where several 14SF are down here. We need to talk James.

4. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

I have a SF14 in my blazer. I got it because it was only thing in the 'yard with the right ratio and I wanted to get the D60 in. I like the better ground clearance, 33 spline axles, and big brakes. I don't like the c clip design,(haven't broken one on this axle or the old 10 bolt) lockers are pricey and nobody makes a disc brake swap for it that is priced low. I think I'll keep it anyway, do my own disc conversion someday and just grit my teeth at the locker price. Around here the SF's are easier to come by than the FF's. Local yard sells both for $75 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not trying to take this thread over, but I've posted before on this issue and no one had any input, so this is as good a place as any.

Re: rear disks on the 14SF. Starting in 2000 it appears all the trucks (maybe not one tons?) went to rear disks. The newsmedia "releases" don't cover axle specs unfortunately.

What needs to be figured out is A) were/are the 14SF's still being made after rear disks were standard, or even available? B) if they were available, did the setup on the axle housing (axle "stickout", backing plate/caliper bracket flange, tueb diameter) change, or did it stay the same?

The 10 bolts were changed as early as 2000, but I think it was even earlier than that. The caliper bracket flange was rotated about 45*, and the size changed enough that the earlier 10 bolt flanges won't accept the caliper brackets. So who knows if the 14SF did the same thing?

If the caliper bracket flange stayed the same through many years then it is very likely that a later 14SF disk setup (if they were made) will bolt up with little to no hassle.

I'm focusing on this because of the 6 lug availability/weight/clearance aspects, and my intended light usage, but it would apply to the 8 lug ones as well.