Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt SF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mikee, Mar 29, 2001.

1. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

Whats the deal with the 14 bolt SF? Just scrapped my 10 bolt and can get a 14 SF converted to six lug with my gear ratio for a couple hundred bucks, is it worth it? How strong are they?

"Got stuck once, hung up on top of a Jeep!"

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

They are strong. I would say they fall between the 12B and the 14FF. This would be as strong as you could get without changing the lug bolt pattern.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

They have 33 spline shafts, and a 9.5" ring gear.. They fall just shy of a D60..

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'm jealous... looked but couldn't find one.... althouggh you may need the perches moved to fit your truck. Most are out of new 3/4 tons and won't bolt up, w/out relocating the perches.

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have called around to find out about swapping parts into the 14SF. So far, from what I understand, the SF rears from the 3/4 tons (81-91) are interchangable with the SF rears from the newer trucks, like the Z-71, etc. They say you can take the shafts and brakes out of, or order some, an say, 95 Z-71 and it will bolt right in place to your 3/4 ton SF after you tear it apart. Make sense? In short, the 81-91 SF has the shock mounts and the spring perches right where you need them. If you find or have one of these, just locate some 6-lug shafts and brakes and install them on the SF. My opinion would be the 3/4 ton SF would be cheaper to find than the Z-71 SF. Therefore you can do a rebuild with new parts or used, too, to build your SF to bolt right up in place of that dreaded 10B, or 12B.

6. Texan

Texan 1/2 ton status

88-91 14 bolt SF's will need perches and shock mounts relocted as well. 88 and up trucks have wider frame rails than our K5's. I have a 14SF out of a 91 3/4 ton 2wd that I'm fixin' to cut on for my Blazer...

<font color=orange>STEVE<font color=orange>[​IMG]
    89 Blazer
    67 Camaro 468
    68 CamaroSS 327
    98 GTP

7. Mikee

Mikee 1/2 ton status

Well theres good news and bad news. The bad news is the guy where my truck got towed to was sick of my 4000 lb truck sitting on his lift with no axles in the back so i gave him the ok to fix it this morning for $860 bucks. The good new for any who are interested is that the 14SF is still for sale untill tonight on ebay, and it already has 6 lug axles, I believe it is still at only a couple hundred bucks. I spoke to him and he lives close, so it was an option, however now i'm stuck with a rebuilt 10bolt from hell. Oh well, at least i got the truck back.

"Got stuck once, hung up on top of a Jeep!"

8. RUSS84K5

RUSS84K5 1/2 ton status

Hi,
    I had one out of a 1983 3/4 ton and it bolted right in, but that was 8 lug. I think in 1987 the new pickups had light duty 3/4 ton with the 6 lugs and the HD 3/4 tons with the 8 lug.
    Hope this helps
    Russ V