Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt SF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 2500SWATBurb, Jan 1, 2006.

1. 2500SWATBurb

2500SWATBurb Registered Member

I dont have much luck searching anymore. So I have a quick question.

Does the 14 Bolt SF 8 lug have a Gov Lock? Does it have any sort of locking device? Just how strong is it? Is it comparable to the Dana60? Any good web sites on the SF 14Bolt?

Yes I know I wish I had a FF... But I dont.. And wont for a long long time.

Thanks guys

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

the 14SF is comparable to a D60 rear and it could have a gov-loc, look in your glove box on the option code sticker and if it says G80 you have some sort of posi in there (there were two that GM used) also if you need to know what gears are in it GT4=3.73, GT5=4.10 as far as websites I can't think of one

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160270 this may help a little, you say you won't have a 14FF for a long time but it shouldn't be high on your priority list, your already 8 lug so you don't have to deal with the front end conversion, buying new rims, and swapping u-joints on the rear drive shaft so rolling a 14FF under your truck is just a matter of getting one, but like I said I wouldn't be too worried about it. When you do decide to swap I'm willing to bet somebody would swap you straight up for the 14SF as they are harder to find.

3. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Depending on the size of tire you plan on runing you might stick with the 14bsf. The 14bff is over 200# heavyer and even shaved has less clearence than a 14bsf. I have been running a 14bsf under my 5700# k5 with 37'' boggers and beating it for 2 years, zero problems so far but I do have a stock motor.

4. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

When you do break your semi floater and watch your tire pass you by..that extra 200 pounds wont matter too much anymore. I like my 14 bolt full floater just for the comfort of knowing if I break an axle, my tire wont go flyin off, they are soooooo cheap and bomb proof and detroit is only like $350..........just my 2 cents.

5. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've got a sf14 here with a govlock. It done fine for me and I had no problems.

6. mtnman

mtnman Scrap metal fabricator Premium Member

I have owned a gov lock in both a sf and a ff 14blt and blew both to smithereens

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

you just gotta do what i did... find a 14bff ready to bolt in, completely rebuilt, with a detroit and ss brakeline for 125 bucks:D

8. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i run a 14bsf, i ran one with a gov loc and never blew it up. swapped in the 4.10s and i actually missed the gov loc. then i welded it. its a strong axle with great clearance. ill run it unless i swap 1 tons in.