Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14-bolt SF

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by k5kraze, Mar 17, 2000.

1. k5kraze

k5kraze Registered Member

I plan to install a SEMIFLOATING 14-bolt in my 78 K5.
    My problem: I have heard that there are 3 different SF-14-bolts (different axle widths for
    suburbans, trucks and vans).
    Which one should I look for?
    What about the spring perches - are they correct or do i have to relocate them for
    installation in my 78-blazer?
    I am thinking about wheel spacers for the rear axle due to
    the different track width (10-bolt front, now 12-bolt rear which is about 3 inches narrower).
    Could I install a wider SF-14-bolt (e.g. one from a van) and
    the track width would be similar to the front axle?
    I would appreciate any help.
    Please excuse any errors - I am from Austria and my English
    is less than perfect.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The SF out of the 89-91 sub would be the bolt in and possibly the most common. I don't think the SF 14 made it into the old body trucks so the width of the mounts may be an issue. The van one will require you to relocate the spring pads.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Also, if you found one out of a van, you might have to check the lug pattern, dont know for sure, but the vans all ran 8 lug wheels I am pretty sure. You can find the semi float 14 bolt with 6 lug axles.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 8 lug SF 14 bolt is quite common in the "older" body style trucks (early to mid '80's) and should pretty much bolt right up to a Blazer. 6 lug axleshafts are available, but I'm not sure whether a set of brake drums off of something with 6 lugs would fit, or if it could be re-drilled. 6 lug SF 14 bolts showed up in '88 under the "new" style trucks but would need the spring perches moved to fit under an older Blazer.

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Actually, I have seen a few square-nosed 3/4 ton longbeds with the 9.5" 14 bolt. they're all 8-lug though. Where can I get alloy shafts for these axles? what lockers are availible besides the ARB?</font color=blue>

6. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Currently I have a 93 3/4 S/F 14blt sitting in a friends car port. They can and do have 6 lugs, as far as the width, the one I have will be aprox 1 1/2" narrower than the front of my truck. From what I understand the later burb's will have the width you are lookin for. If you get anything prior 88 I'd think they would bolt directly up, after 88 the chassis changed. Another thing to take into consideration, the rearend I got had a differen't set up for the U-bolts. There is a "cradle" for lack of better words that went under the axle tube, the U-bolts than went infront and behind the tube, not around like your stock axle is, they went around (actually they are square, so over would be a better deff.) the springs and into the cradle under the axle tube. My rear end had 2 sets of perches on it, along with the shock mounts, I removed all of the mounts, and will either reuse the 3 1/4" perches that it came with (raised) or some new ones I'm planning on making (thanks depdog). The other perches on the rearend were VERY LOW PROFILE types. Just extra weight as far as I was concerned.

Best of luck.

Corey
    88K5

Oh, I've got a url for my rearend with the swap to disc setup sofar... Hmmm I guess I should look it up huh?

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

7. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Does TSM make disk brakes for the 9.5" rear? what lockers are availible (besides the ARB)? Who makes alloy shafts and where can I get them</font color=blue>