Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt SF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Living Large, May 3, 2003.

1. Living Large

Living Large Registered Member

I need your expertise, I have a 91 suburban 3/4 ton with the 14 SF rear end lifted with 33's. It is only used as a toy hauler/camping vehicle. When backing up out of a driveway, the axles move in and out, creating a knocking noise. You can grab the tire and move it in and out. My question is, how much play in the axles is acceptable? The C clips seem to be in place, no excessive metal in the cover or magnet. The Gov. lock works fine with no unusal noises. Am I to picky, or is this a usual symtom when larger than stock tires are added?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't believe any motion is good. Your axles should spin thats all they should do. IF they are doing anything else something isn't right. Sounds to me like axle bearings or carrier bearings. Do they move like side to side or in and out of the housing? Do they move together? My friends moved back and forth a little on his Ford 9" when the carrier caps exploded and took bearings with them.

3. Living Large

The axles move independent of each other, they only move laterally about 1/16 of an inch. The concern is that any movement seems to be wrong. The last couple of lifted trucks I have had had almost zero movement. You could feel the C clip ingage, but that was all.

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

1/16" movement is okay. That's normal for a c-clip axle. It's only going to get worse with more wear, but I think you're okay for the time being.
    [ QUOTE ]
    When backing up out of a driveway, the axles move in and out, creating a knocking noise.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That shouldn't happen, however. I suspect that there is a different problem in the rearend if you're getting knocking noise in reverse.

5. Living Large

The noise is most noticable backing out of a driveway. But it also occurs when turning into a street that has a gutter. So it happens in forward and reverse. Can you get a oversize C clip( thickness) to compensate for wear?

6. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I have never seen thicker c-clips. I have never seen them wear out! But the movement is normal. One thing I would check is the gov lock. I know you stated you did already, but the spider gears and shims are known for wearing and that WILL cause a clunking noise in the rear. I would pull the cover agian and see how much slack there is in those gears. Also check the cross pin for wear. If the gears wear, it can damage the pin.

7. Living Large

Thanks for the posts, I have checked the ring and pinion teeth, mesh, and backlash, everything is to spec. The gov lock does have some slack/slop in it , but I guess that is because it is not engaged. Just seems unusal that I would have these problems with only 62,000 miles. Everything, and I mean everything is factory on this thing when I bought it. It was only after I lifted it that I noticed this noise.

8. BiggerIsBetter

BiggerIsBetter Registered Member

I had the same thing with a Bronco that I use to own after I lifted it. The problem was that the nuts on the U bolts had loosened up a bit causing the axle to move slightly. Whenever I reversed I would hear a knocking noise. Hope your problem is as simple as mine was.