Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Shorty Disc Brake Caliper Brackets!

Discussion in 'Vendor Forum' started by Gravel Maker, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Gravel Maker

Gravel Maker 1/2 ton status Vendor

So, you have your 14 Bolt axle and its time to add the disc brakes, one small problem. You just spent $500 on a nice set of aluminum rims and the caliper is hitting the rim because the rim is 1/4" thicker than the stock steel rim. Are you gonna throw away those new rims and have to spend another $350 on steel wheels, and thats before you consider the cost of unmounting and remounting of the tires. And don't even theink about grinding the Caliper! No way, here is the alternative, these disc caliper brackets are the same in every way as our standard brackets except for one aspect. They are 5/16" shorter that the standard brackets so the aluminum wheels will fit! The only difference is that you will have to spend another $40-80 to have the rotors turned down 5/16", I think it is a small price to pay. These are sold in pairs and made of A50 .375 thick Steel Plate.

[​IMG]

I know they look just like the other 14's we make (its the same pic), it is such a minor difference. But it is enough! Compare your wheels to steel to determine if these will work for you. It dosen't really take much. :wink1: And, of course the CK510 10% discount still applies.....

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  2. Gravel Maker

An installed pic.....Pardon the rust.....

I think it is taking him longer that he expected to swap rear axles, I think that you should estimate the time neccessary and then double it.....
    [​IMG]
    As you can see, it is a pretty straightforward simple boltup item, no real challenge to do.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Do these use the same calipers and brake pads as the original larger design? With these I could run 15" steel or aluminum wheels without grinding, right?

Now if I only knew how to get a 15" aluminum wheel on an 8 lug D44...

4. Gravel Maker

They exist.....

But they will fit without grinding the caliper, on the bracket we make them to the specs of the smallest one we have found for a snug fit, many of the calipers with the same part numbers are slightly different in size ofthe casting (a few hundredths), so if yours are too tight you can remove a few hundredths from between the horns for a snug fit. And yes, the same calipers.

5. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

dan I have to say I am really diging your stuff man. very cool inovative design in your products. not just copying stuff. I like that.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  6. Gravel Maker

Thank You!

thats the kind of remark that keeps us on track.....anyone can copy, not too many take the time to improve.....A few of the sites I advertise on are flooded with the Chinese parts and the copycat stuff, I kind of like what I see here.....I like the stuff DIY makes, we compete in most areas but he thinks about what he makes and it shows. I like to compete with companies like that. We will be releasing many more fullsize GM parts as time goes by. At the moment we are adding about 10 parts a week.

Almost all of our parts are for universal use. I see alot of people here staying within the GM boundaries, so to speak. I think they might learn just 1 thing from the Landcruiser and Jeep guys, when you tear off the bodies they are all the same. I have 7 trucks, I don't have a Chevy at the moment but I do have 3 vehicles with Chevy engines and 2 vehicles with Chevy leafsprings. I am even working on a TPI Chevy with a C4:eek1: behind it! Talk about sins!!(BTW, the C4 is only 11.5" long when you take off the shift govenor and the bellhousing is removeable)

I guess what I am saying is don't stay within the box. A great place to get new ideas is from the Cherokee and Toy mini kids, they are mostly kids, 16-22 years old and don't have a dime to spend on their trucks, thats why they drive what they do, because they are so cheap to work on. Just take a minute to look at some of the both crazy and yet innovative things they try, you can learn a ton of tricks from them.

Anyway, check our website regularily for new stuff and have fun tearing it up AND have fun putting it back together.:D

7. Gravel Maker

we also make 2 different kinds of Weld On Caliper Brackets.....

Check the website for them.....they can make a good thing even better.....made for 3 different axle diameters.....

8. Gravel Maker

Had a run in with a Napa rotor on these.....

It seems that some Napa rotors will not fit with these......they cost $48 from Napa and $28 from Autozone anyway so don't buy the rotors from Napa.....This could be an isolated area in the midwest because they try and not ship rotors too far due to the weight but to be safe and save money buy them somewhere else. The same customer had no problem with the Autozone rotors.