Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt specs and tools, and...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ftn96, Aug 17, 2001.

1. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Ok, I just got my 14 bolt in adn I need to go through it and clean everything up and inspect the brakes and so forth.
    I know I need to get the 6 prong wheels bearing screw socket. Any other special tools I need?
    Also, what manual should I get to cover most anything to do with this rear end? Also Like when Im asking for parts and such. I cant tell them 90 1/2 Jimmy. So........

Learning to fry bacon!! [​IMG]
    3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

2. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just tell them whatever vehicle it came out of. If you don't know, just tell them it was off of a 1980 K30, which had a 14 bolt FF rear. The only difference may be the spring perch width, but that is trivial. All internal components should be the same. You could get a spanner wrench for loosening and tightening the carrier bearing shims, but a an alignment punch has worked for me.

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

80 K30 will work A? Cool, yeah it came from a yard and another CK5er brought it down from Ohio for me. So I have no idea what it came from. The perches line up for my 1/2.
    One drum doesn't turn very well. Lots of dirt falls out when I try to turn it along with a bunch of black ants!
    So what the bearing pre-load nad final torque on the outer axle bearings?

3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Sorry folks I tried the search, but when you put in 14 bolt you bring up every post from day one. [​IMG]

And Im trying to go to the store here in the next hour or so.

3/4 in progress[​IMG]

5. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

My haynes manual has all the torque specs for the 14 bolt, 12 bolt, and 10 bolt. The manual should be available at most auto parts stores. The preload steps are very similar to the front hubs on yøur blazer now. I usually tell them I need parts for an 86 1 ton. As long as it's older than say a 75 you should be ok. Although, I can't remember what year the 14's started showing up in the rear. You might want to get a seal/race driver set for the races and seals if you plan on changing out the hub bearings. I use mine all the time. Hope this helps some.

BIGJ

6. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Nope, the hub bearings look fine. Besides, I was thinking disk brake conversion within the next 9-12 months.
    I got the axles out, they look good. I cleaned all the brake stuff up. Brakes look fairly new. Got rid of the ant farm. Started cleaning on the hosuing itself. Air compressor has gotten a little warm. Will continue tomorrow. Am replacing the hub bearing seals and the axles gasket. Or I may use RTV.

3/4 in progress[​IMG]