Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 Bolt Spindle Assembly

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by willyswanter, Apr 23, 2004.

1. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ok, on the 89 and later 14 bolts that use the single spindle nut, key, and snap ring, is there supposed to be a washer behind the nut like the older 2 nut systems used or no? The diagrams I am looking at had no washer there and the dealerships are saying they do not have a part # for one. But when I pulled my axle apart there was one in there on each side and I put them back on when I rebuilt it. Is this a fluke or is it really supposed to be there? Could this be what caused my bearing to die on the highway?

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Not the same axle I know, but neither of my Dana 70 rears (which have the same wheel bearing adjustment nuts and such) have any sort of washer behind the adjusting nut. They both use the key and snapring method. How did you adjust them? I always do 50 ft lbs then back off one slot and ive never had a problem.

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, thats what the manual says to do and thats what I did. The pass. side is fine, just happened to the drivers side and the bearings are maybe 2 months old...