Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt/ spindle differances

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k20350, Feb 3, 2006.

1. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

This questions a lil differant than what ive seen. on the old 14 bolt i had i removed the axle, a nut with a 4 prong socket, a washer another nut and i believe another washer. i got a new 14 bolt (to me anyways) with the big drums (the old one had the small ones off a 3/4 ton) it had been recently rebuilt when i got it. i noticed right before i parked my truck that one of the hubs was leaking. so today i have time and pull the axle to seal it back up. I noticed the hub loose. so i checked the other side. sure enough that side was loose too. *lightbulb* so thats what the weird vibe was on the higway!:eek1: So now looking at the hub of this new one with the axle off the pattern is snap ring, a square rod that fits in the keyway between the spindle and the nut, then the nut. but only 1 nut, no washers and it was 6 prong. (i figured someone switched it to 6 prong at time of rebuild so they wouldnt have to have 2 sockets for a 60 and 14 bolt) What worries me most about this is that the snap ring had no groove to sit in. its job is only to hold that square rod in though. is this a normal setup? Seems a lil weird to me, especially that theres not a specific groove for the snap ring to sit in.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

anyone?

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Most of the older 14-bolts I've had apart take the 2 spindle nuts with a lock ring in between. My '87 14-bolt rear had the single nut with the square keeper pin (or whatever the technical term is for it). I'm not sure what year they changed styles, but I'd assume somewhere in the mid 80's. I'm pretty sure thats how the newer one is supposed to be. The snap rings doesn't have a whole lot to hold in... just has to keep that pin/rod from moving out.

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

thats what i thought, but i just wanted to make sure. last thing i want is a hub falling off.

5. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Mine is as you described. No problems out of it so far. Even driving it across the country.
    I bet that when it was last serviced it was not properly torqued

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

it is thin to fit in the thread groves and stay. most like them better or the swap to dana 60 nuts and washer type.