Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt spool- pic's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Aug 1, 2005.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

I posted up a thread a couple weeks ago with questions about installing a 14 bolt spool. As I haven't seen any pictures of one one here thought I would post a couple pic's of it. It is a heavy beast. Don't think I will break it anytime soon.

[​IMG]

One of it installed

[​IMG]

2. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

Is this a Yukon? and what did you pay for it?

3. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I doubt you'll ever break it, even if you try.. now the gears are another story. :wink1: Thanks for the pics.. looks good.

4. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Yes, it is a Yukon, got it from Randy's- I think it was $279 with shipping to Alaska.

txfireman- I almost hope the gears break..... I need a reason to buy some 5:13. :D 's

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

time for disk brakes :D Do you have to reset gear backlash or reset anything when you install the spool?

6. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Disk brakes are next year. We had to play with the depth of the ring and pinion mesh a little bit. But all in all, it was not too bad.

7. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

mmmm beefy looks awesome. i wish they wasnt such a pain on the street i like to drive my toys to the places i wheel

balzer

8. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

you wont break that monster! it you run deeper then 4:10's you ofcourse have to run the thick gear which i assume is, or should be stronger than a regular gear, atleast the cross section. the teeth strength should be the same. so my question is what would be the next weak link?. i would guess the axles, which can be improved with aftermarket axles. so if you basicly have a bomb proof 14ff the only draw backs is or should be tire wear, and maybe in snow or wet street driving, right? if you dont do much snow and limit your street driving or have a different DD, you would have a killer affordable setup. i think im interested in one possibily. feed back please, thanks.

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Wow. Thats different looking than the ones I have been seeing on the net. The difference is the others are machanied around the ring gear bolts...

Cool beans though! :thumb:

BTW, did you happen to weigh the spool and the stock carrier with spiders? Just wondering what the weight difference was.....

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

wow that thing is beef :D
    I've been running an mini spool in my 14ff for about 4 weeks now and barely notice back there. my turning radius sucks now but it wasn't that good to begin with anyways and around corners I just go alittle slower. The tires seem to be doing good so far.

11. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Emmettology 101 - I didn't weigh the spool or the old carrier. I will check the shipping box and see if the weight of the spool is on there. I sold the old carrier so I will be mailing that out - I will get the weight of that. They seem to be pretty close in weight- I think the spool weighs just a little more though.

rdn2blazer- The only road this thing sees is on the way to the trail. Maybe 20 or 30 miles.... so I figured it wouldn't be such a big deal. When the Boggers start melting away my story may change. :rolleyes:

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Who is working on that thing ? Dorf ?

13. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Who is dorf?