Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt spool

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Deadman514, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Deadman514

Deadman514 Registered Member

No -I don't have a GM truck anymore. I do have a GM 14 bolt rear axle on my 78 Bronco. I hate lockers and limited slip diffs are useless...I don't want to weld the spiders...I'm looking for a spool (or mini spool). The only one I've found is for 46spline axles (which I don't have the cash for right now). I did a search already -DTW says they won't be making them for a couple years at least. Help!
    Thanks in advance

2. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Detroit or welded is the only ways to go on a 14 bolt. No one makes a spool yet. I have a detoit and can't even tell it is there on the street.

3. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

sorry to be the one who gives you the bad news...assuming its the full-floater, that one for the custom shafts is the only one I've seen on the market. Maybe someone else will have had better luck.

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What is wrong with a detroit locker?

5. Deadman514

Deadman514 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    What is wrong with a detroit locker?

[/ QUOTE ]
    I've only had one when I had a 9" Ford axle -but from the stories I hear -there's not much difference. Off road -no problems. But this is my only truck now -and my daily driver -so it's gotta be able to work on the street too.
    When it was new -it was almost always locked. It was fine then -only unlocked on a corner on pavement. Once it broke in (couple months) it would lock and unlock when I got on and off the gas. When it would lock and unlock -it would throw me into the next lane. Pretty scary on the Harlem River Drive in NYC- especially when you're up 30 feet off the water -at 60mph with a guard rail that's less than half as tall as my tires!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif