Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt SRW .vs DRW

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by seattlek5, Sep 4, 2003.

1. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

What is the difference between the single and dual 14bolts? I'm thinking the crewcab needs to be a dually /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

For one they are diferent widths and two the spring perches are narrower on 1 tons and duallies are only 1 tons. Find a 3/4 ton 14 bolt, they are just as or more common than the 1 ton version because the 3/4 version bolts right in on half tons.

85K5 3/4 ton,14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

Pretty sure this is for his 1 ton truck, so I would guess that a 1 ton dually rearend would bolt in /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

For a 14 bolt, the housings are supposed to be the same but the bearing hubs are different. The wheel mounting flange is positioned differently between the two versions, the flange is out further on a dually. Dr. Watson addressed this recently in a thread about using Hummer wheels.

FYI - second gen dually pick ups used D70HD's not 14 bolts so be sure to check the overall wms for you application.

5. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm thinking the crewcab needs to be a dually /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ] You have a SRW Crew cab longbed? 4x4? Those things are awesome in my opinion, as long as its a 4x4 of course. I love the extra lights on the 1ton, across the roof and tailgate. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif There is one around here that is an 89-91 12"lift, 39.5boggers, 16.5x14 welds. THey are kind of rare, don't convert to dually, please! /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

85K5 3/4 ton,14boltFF,10bolt, 9"lift,35"boggers,16.5x14 welds, big horse 406SBC/700R4 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

The 14 Bolt FF dually axle came on cab and chasis 1 ton dual wheel trucks, not dually pick ups. The Dana 70HD is the wide dually axle you see on dual wheel pick ups. They are different in widths. Both will bolt in just fine to any 1 ton truck - cab and chasis, dually or SRW 1 ton pick up truck. But, the inner dual tire on 14 bolt FF dually axle will not clear the inner fenders of the dually or SRW pick up beds. The outter tire will not tuck under the fenders on the SRW bed and will be tucked too far in on the dually bed. You want a Dana 70HD and the dually bed for it all to fit correctly.

As for the difference between the 14 BoltFF single and dual axles, the housings are the same except the mounting bracket for the backing plates are welded in different locations on the housings, the hubs are different and the drums are different.

Eric M.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

OK, so the infamous "van 14FF" is just wider hub spacing, not a wider housing?

8. rjfguitar

I think the axle tubes are a few inches wider.