Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt swap & bad brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mudstud, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I swapped in a 14 Bolt in my 76 K5 and now it's like the rear brakes aren't even working. Cleaned out the star wheel adjusters, adjusted them and did the back up thing a BUNCH of times to make sure they were adjusted out. The brake light stays on now. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem with their swap and what was the fix? I've got most of the parts to do a disc swap but that probably won't happen for a couple more months. Don't like the way the truck brakes. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Bleed your brakes again.

BTW its too bad you wasted money on the drum setup when swapping to discs is so cheap.

If the brake light comes on you either have a leak in one of your brake circuits or still have air in the lines. Either way you have no rear brakes right now and that's why your brake light is on.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW its too bad you wasted money on the drum setup when swapping to discs is so cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Uh...he didn't say that he invested money into the drums...he's just having problems with them /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Keep reading, I gave tech advice below that.

Quoting out of context to make me look stupid isn't going to work.

5. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the response but I've bleed the piss outta them...twice. "BTW its too bad you wasted money on the drum setup when swapping to discs is so cheap." I didn't waste any money.
    With the 12 bolt that I had I only had the brake light come on after serious muddin trips. Just had to back up several times and it'd go off.
    I'm wondering if the wheel cylinders are siezed.

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Keep reading, I gave tech advice below that.

Quoting out of context to make me look stupid isn't going to work.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Dude, calm down. Who's trying to make ya look stupid? Just pointing out that he didn't say he spent any money on the drums so you couldn't really say that he wasted money... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Are you sure you don't have a leak somewhere or a bad master cylinder then?

8. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I installed a 14bff in the rear of my Burb and still runnin the front 1/2 ton setup, (in the middle of the change) the thing i have noticed is that my rear drum brakes want to lock up way before the fronts will, not that i like to lock up my brakes, but the rears are getting way more pressure than the fronts, i am thinkin it has to do with the now larger brake shoe surface, (13" drums) and the fact that i am still runnin the stock smaller 1/2 ton rotors, hopin it will cure the problem when i get the 3/4 ton front setup soon. But anyway, got alittle off topic there, Sounds like brakes need bleeding more or maybe the master cylinder went bad or even the proportioning valve, not much else to the setup,,,is there? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

In that case it just has to do with the engineering of the setup. GM never intended the small 1/2 ton brakes to be up front and those huge drums in the rear. As long as you're aware of it though I don't think that'd be an issue.