Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bhintz, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

Im sure this has been ask before but, when swiching in a 14 bolt for a 10 bolt I know you have to change the u-joint, but is there anything else I will need and is the u-joint size 1350? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Search feature. If you are switching from 10-->14 and you don't switch your driveshaft ujoint from the 1/2 style you need the Napa #447 ujoint. It is half 1310 (1/2 ton) half 1350 (3/4 & 1 ton). If you do switch the rear driveshaft ujoint then the joint you will want is the 1350. That should be what your 14bff is set up for. Mine was, and most are.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you'll need ff14-sized u-bolts and spring plates too....

j

4. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

Before you hammer out the old joint make sure it is different on the yoke. The yoke on the 14bolt was the same size as the yoke on my 10 bolt. I believe the NAPA 447 is for the front drive shaft. I have not gotten that far, so I am not 100% sure.

5. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

I'd be awfully suprised if the yoke on that ff14b is the same as the yoke on the 10b.

Also, I can't help ya on the u-joint. I got mine from a local driveline shop. I don't even recall the mfg of it. Spose I could go dig out the receipt to find out, if need be. However, I do recall ordering a NAPA ujoint and it wasn't what I needed so I had to send it back. I've probably got a reciept of that transaction as well. My point is, make sure you're getting the right ujoint if you're getting it from NAPA.

As for the spring plates - you can get by just slightly drilling out the 1/2ton plates to fit the 3/4ton ubolts, if you want.

6. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Hossbaby50 is correct. You will need hybrid u-joint #447 to go from a 10 bolt to a 14BFF. The two yokes are NOT the same. The #447 has 10 bolt size caps on one cross and 14BFF size caps on the other....like this one.
    [​IMG]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif