Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt torque specs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DukeBoy88, Nov 7, 2002.

1. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I'm rebuilding my 1st FF 14-bolt ('84), regearing as well (4.56). I don't have the torque specs for all the hardware. could someone post them or a link to a site that has them? thanks in advance.

2. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I found this on another board.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Hey Eric, regarding the pinion nut, you must tighten this nut tight enough to get 20-35in. lbs of preload on new pinion bearings, or 8-11in. lbs of preload on used bearings. Ring gear bolts get 120ft. lbs of torque. Bearing caps get 135ft. lbs of torque. Back lash needs to be .006-.010. Hope this helps
    Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

One spec that isnt on there is axle shaft to hub flange bolts and its 115 ft-lbs.Hope this helps ya. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Dont know if you still need any info...but I got this in a Pm from THE MAN himself (Wes, thatK30guy) a while back...hope it helps.

"Now, to the rear on the 14FF.

Gear backlash preferred: between .005" to .008". (minimum and maximum - between .003" to .012")
    Pinion bearing pre-load: new bearings - 25 to 35 in. lbs. , used bearings - 5 to 15 in. lbs.

Carrier cover: 30 ft. lbs.
    Ring gear: 120 ft. lbs.
    Differential bearing caps: 135 ft. lbs.
    Filler plug: 18 ft. lbs.
    Drive pinion nut: torque as necessary to obtain correct pre-load.
    Differential bearing adjusting lock: 20 ft. lbs.
    Pinion bearing cage to carrier: 65 ft. lbs.
    Brake backing plate: 105 ft. lbs.
    Axle shaft to hub bolts: 115 ft. lbs.

Wheel bearing adjustment: inner - 50 ft. lbs. , outer - (this one varies, I hear different torque specs for this one all the time, so ask around first)

One thing I will tell you to use AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE: Lock-Tight!! Use this stuff accordingly on areas such as the ring gear bolts, dif carrier bolts, etc. Do not use this for wheel bearing adjusting nuts, lug nuts, etc. Just the parts that are the most crucial. "

4. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info, everything is clear accept pinnion bearing preload. not quite sure how this is accomplished, can anyone shed some light on this. thanks again.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> On the 14 bolt pinion bearing preload is set with a crush sleeve. Basically you tighten the pinion nut down, it will take 300+ ft-lbs to start crushing the crush sleeve, once it starts it will not take very much torque to keep it crushing. Crush it until the yoke is seated down in the housing in the correct position. Bearing preload is measred by turning the pinion assembly with a torque wrench on the pinion nut and measuring the amount of drag on it in inch pounds. A pointer style torque wrench is the preferred method of doing this, although you can use a clicker style by starting at a low setting and gradually increasing the setting until the wrench begins to turn the pinion gear before it clicks.</font color> .

6. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

thanks again, one more question. when that measurement is taken is the carrier insatalled as well so the resitance of it spinning is also measured?

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Nope. Just the pinion shaft is installed at that point. Setting up new gears is not a simple chore. It takes special tools and special knowledge. If you do it wrong, you'll be doing it again very soon. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Check out www.randysringandpinion.com . They sell the tools and I think they also have some instructional books and videos available as well.