Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt u-bolts

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lunchbox, Dec 30, 2006.

1. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

i just picked up a ff 14 bolt , but in a moment of stupidity i forgot the u-bolts and the plates and all the hardware. Is their any place i can find these new?

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Most any shop that does lift kits will have them. Superlift sells them in a kit too. You should beable to get the hardware at the same place you get the bolts. There are also some shops that will build them to your specs.

FYI-If I remember correctly, the 14b ff tube is 3 3/8". :D

The easiest place to get the plates would be a junkyard/picknpull. I think there are also a few places you can purchase them online. Does DIY4x.com have those things? Kert...Paging Kert!

3. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

4. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

if i go to the pickandpull to get them would hardware and plates from a 14 bolt semi floater do?

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

NEVER, I repeat NEVER reuse ublots...

Yes, plates from a 14 bolt sf would work

6. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

okay so DONT reuse u-bolts do you think napa would sell them, ive tried calling and they arnt picking up.

7. Zeus33rd

Don't re-use u-bolts? Wives tale. Unless that u-bolt is visibly thrashed in some way, theres no need to waste your money on new ones. What makes a u-bolt any different from any other crucial bolt on your truck? We re-use bearing cap bolts right? If you go to reuse a u-bolt and there is an invisible to the eye fault with it, that fault will show it self when you torque it down.

Napa will probably have ubolts in the right diameter to fit your 14b, but most are only made of 7/16'-1/2" stock and they usually won't have anything other than stock applications as far as length goes. I think OEM 14b u-bolts and the aftermarket ones are made from 9/16 stock.

Almost certain the 14b sf ubolts/plates won't work on a 14b as the tube diameter is different.

You can search the Napaonline website to see what they carry, and get prices/part #'s.

8. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

would the nuts and washers from the ten bolt u bolts fit the 14bolt u joints?

9. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

14ff U-bolts are 5/8" diameter and the top plates need to be from a 14ff not a 14sf.

10. Zeus33rd

Shiit.

1/16" off.

:doah:

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

14b sf has tubes of 3 3/8" diameter, so does a 14bff.

I have PERSONALY taken plates from a SF and installed them on a FF.

As for u bolts. I have seen 1 fail. Nothing major, but the thing popped. It was a reused one that looked fine to the eye. It was only a 1/2" u bolt but why chance it?

As far as where you can get them, look up a local spring shop, or driveline shop. They can make them exactly how you need them.

12. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

No, they are smaller. Besides when you buy new u bolts they will come with them.

13. Zeus33rd

If it failed, and had no visible issues, then it was probably loose/not torqued properly.

I could twist off a brand new 1/2" u-bolt with nothing but a 1/2 breaker bar. No cheater. Why would ya use something that small anyway?

A tip I just thought of...I HATE retightening u-bolts, so I have always double nutted them. If you put a wrench on the already torqued bottom nut to keep it from turning, and really lean on the top one, or use a healthy impact gun, you won't have to re-tighten them again. You can also put those old nuts to use for this task. A loose nut is about the only thing that could really lead to a u-bolt failure. Other than age/rust, or being thrashed by some obsticle.

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Nope they were torques to spec... Bad axle wrap musta just put too much stress on it...

It was one my buddys trucks, not mine. 1/2" is all he could find at the time.

15. Zeus33rd

Lesson learned.

16. Zeus33rd

Another bit of u-bolt trivia...

I have seen the u-bolts Napa and others sell. Most of the auto parts store stuff is made out of mild and/or grade3-5 steel. Not very strong stuff for OUR applications. Fine for OEM. The ones I've purchased from 4x4 shops, Superlift etc, have always been grade 8 class stuff. 90% of the time, if it has a gold colored coating (zinc) it's grade 8 style.

17. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

The were from the local spring shop. All the guy had was 1/2" rod. He was all out of 9/16" and 5/8". He did have 3/4" though....shoulda used that:rolleyes:

They were grade 8. i wont deny that the ubolt being undersized caused issues but there was never a problem till it was taken off and reinstalled...

18. Zeus33rd

I wasn't pickin on you or your buddy with that one. Just wanted to add some more tech to the post. This post should be pretty valuble for people using the search. :)

19. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

I know, its no biggies. I was just giving all the facts:D

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: HAd me going for a second there... people dont search...:rolleyes:

This topic has been covered many times before...

20. Zeus33rd

People should use the search...I do sometimes. Lazy arseholes these days.....:haha: :haha: