Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

14 bolt u-joint straps or...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Feb 7, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

this thing?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-1410_Yoke/index.html

I gotta get new straps for my new-to-me 14 bolt ... but reading this article has me all worried now :crazy:

What y'all do -- buy them at parts stores, go hog wild like Billavista, or?

Since I'll hafta get new shafts when I go doubler, I figure I can call Jesse @ HAD and do it all then ... but that's a few months off and I'd kinda like to have a rear axle before then :D

-- A

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Get some used straps till you can get a new/modified yoke. Basically, the u-bolt holes are not on the same center line as the strap holes, so you need a mill to correctly modify them.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I went to Napa and got a set of stock replacment straps and bolts. They work fine for me sofar so I have had no reason to change to anything different.

Harley

4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Jesse's 1410 u-bolt kit is the greatest.........but Im a tight wad and when he built my d shaft I went with 1350's and bought new straps and bolts at the dealership. DEFINATELY buy them at the dealership as the aftermarkets do not fit well around the cap.

If you want to go primo spend the $$$ on the u-bolt kit, if not buy the OEM straps and replace them annually.

:D

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey Russ, so you're saying that you can't just drill out the threads and use the U-bolt even though the 1350 and 1410 use the same size caps because the bolt hole centerline in the 1350 Yoke is different than the bolt hole centerline on a 1410? If i have access to a mill can i machine the 1350 Yoke to accept 1410 U-bolts? I know the backside of the Yoke needs to be machined to accept the flat surface of a washer and nut but what else needs to be done, is there enough meat on the 1350 Yoke to properly use the 1410 U-bolts?

6. Afireinside

Afireinside Registered Member

I've READ a couple of articles on pirate where they just grind down the back of the yoke till the bolt and nut fit.I dont know about the 1410 but if you can do it with 1350s I dont see why not.That doesnt sound too expensive to me.As soon as it gets warm i'm gonna try it on mine,I've broke way too many POS straps.I guess it's a bad design and thats why dana didn't use it:D

Post any results please.

7. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Yes, the holes are not in the same place for straps and u-bolts. I *think* that in order to use the u-bolts without using a mill to center the holes, you'll need to drill the holes over-size. Not sure if the center line is offset across the yoke too. <hmmm>

Not sure if there is enough material on the 1350s, I would think so. I think I've still got a 1350 strap yoke out in my shop, and I put a 1350 u-bolt on my son's truck. I'll try to dig it out tomorrow to do some comparisons. If you don't hear from me by 2-3 p.m., send me a PM and remind me...

8. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I have run straps (from Napa) for three years with zero problems. The conversion joint I'm using is the same age as the straps and still functions perfect, even after losing the front joint on the freeway. I don't worry about mine even after reading that article by Billa Vista, I go by my own experience with a product.

[​IMG]

"Once again, innocence is destroyed, and it's Americans destroying other Americans. This conduct runs wild in this country ... It's not the Taliban doing it. It's Americans." -Ted Nugent

http://www.krazyk5.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2

9. Afireinside

Afireinside Registered Member

So how did you lose a FRONT u joint on the highway.You dont have locking hubs on there or what:crazy:

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Milling a 1350 yoke for u bolts will make it weaker than the straps.

I can get you the correct, GM OE straps/bolts but they're quite expensive from me ($25 shipped)

11. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I meant front u-joint on the rear driveline...which caused the driveline to fall and hit the ground, breaking the yoke on the front...but the rear u-joint stayed intact, though bound a bit messing up the bolt heads....

[​IMG]

"Once again, innocence is destroyed, and it's Americans destroying other Americans. This conduct runs wild in this country ... It's not the Taliban doing it. It's Americans." -Ted Nugent

http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me
    http://community.webshots.com/user/trcksr4me2